Taft, Eastern Samar
|Municipality of Taft|
St. James the Greater Parish Church
|Motto(s): Diri natumba, naluros nala|
Map of Eastern Samar with Taft highlighted
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|Named for||William Howard Taft|
|Barangays||24 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Marian June E. Libanan|
|• Electorate||12,784 voters (2016)|
|• Total||231.27 km2 (89.29 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||82/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)55|
|Climate type||Tropical rainforest climate|
|Income class||4th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||80,128,753.59 (2016)|
It is bounded on the north by the town of Can-avid and on the south-southeast by the town of Sulat.
- Del Remedios
- Lomatud (Burak)
- Poblacion Barangay 1
- Poblacion Barangay 2
- Poblacion Barangay 3
- Poblacion Barangay 4
- Poblacion Barangay 5
- Poblacion Barangay 6 (Bliss)
- San Luis
- San Pablo
- San Rafael
Taft is one of the ancient pueblos in Samar situated in the eastern coast which was called Tubabao or Tubabaw in early times. This town was originally named after the river called Malinaw, but since the river causes heavy floods during rainy season, people began calling the place Tubig, which means water in Waray-Waray.
|Population census of Taft|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
The population of Taft, Eastern Samar, in the 2015 census was 18,915 people, with a density of 82 inhabitants per square kilometre or 210 inhabitants per square mile.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Eastern Samar". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Kobak, Cantius (2002). Historical Sketches of the Pueblos of Samar and Leyte: 1580-1900. Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Unpublished. p. 724 - 760.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region VIII (Eastern Visayas)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Eastern Samar". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.