Tag management system
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A tag management system is designed to help manage the lifecycle of e-marketing tags (sometimes referred to as tracking pixels or web beacons), which are used to integrate third-party software into digital properties.
E-marketing tags are used to add functionality to web sites, video content, and mobile apps. Such functionality can include web analytics, campaign analytics, audience measurement, personalization, A/B testing, ad servers, behavioral retargeting, and conversion tracking.
Tag management systems replace these multiple tags with a single container tag and subsequently prioritize and "fire" individual tags as appropriate based on business rules, navigation events and known data. Typical functionality includes testing environment (sandboxing), audit trail and version control, ability to A/B test different solutions, tag deduplication, and role-based access to data.
Typically cited benefits of tag management systems include:
- Agility: Reduced reliance on technical resources and reduced dependency on IT cycles confers greater agility to business users.
- Performance: Reduced page load times thanks to asynchronous tag loading, conditional tag loading and tag timeout functionality.
- Cost savings: Ability to deduplicate tags used to attribute commission.
- Data control: Ability to control data leakage to third-parties and comply with data privacy legislation (cookie consent, do not track). Tag managers also provide another layer of abstraction for managing the complexity of large websites.
- Safe preview: Some tag managers, such as Google Tag Manager, include a preview mode which allows checking for formatting and security issues before deploying tags to production.
This section relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "Gartner glossary entry". Gartner Inc. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- "Moz definition". SEOMoz Inc. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- "Understanding Tag Management Tools And Technology". Forrester Research. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- "TrustRadius tag management category definition". TrustRadius. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- Amari, Zaid. "Why you should setup Google Tag Manager". PPC Masterminds. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "Dynamic tag management, tag manager | Adobe Marketing Cloud". www.adobe.com. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "Ensighten Manage". Ensighten. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "Google Tag Manager". Google. Retrieved 2015-02-12.
- "IBM Digital Data Exchange". Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Tealium iQ". Tealium. Retrieved 2015-02-12.