Taganrog Old Cemetery
Chapel burial vault of Litsin family at the Taganrog Old Cemetery
|Number of interments||around 150,000|
The cemetery was officially established in 1809. In 1810 the The All-Saints Church in Taganrog on the cemetery's land was founded, which was consecrated and completed in 1824.
After 1920 and "abolition of religion", the cemetery was used for all interments. After Great Patriotic War, several monuments and traditional eternal flame were established on the territory of the cemetery.
On May 25, 1971 it was closed for new interments.
In 1980's some of the old monuments were saved from destruction and desecration by being transferred into the inner yard of the Taganrog Museum of Art
Grave of Maria Komnino-Varvatsi, a descendant of Ioannis Varvakis
Monuments displaced into Taganrog Museum of Art's inner yard
Prominent people buried in Taganrog Old Cemetery
- Paul von Rennenkampf - Russian general
- Saint Pavel of Taganrog (later relics transferred into St. Nicholas Church, Taganrog)
- Seraphima Blonskaya - Russian artist
- Lev Kulchitsky - Russian admiral, 13th Governor of Taganrog
- Konstantin Igelström - Decembrist
- Ivan Vasilenko - Soviet writer
- Alexander Lakier - founder of Russian heraldry
- Anatoly Durov - animal trainer
- В.С.Кукушин, А.И.Николаенко "Таганрогский некрополь XIX-XXвв. Историко-художественный очерк", Таганрог, "Лукоморье" 2006
- Таганрог. Энциклопедия, Таганрог, издательство АНТОН, 2008