|Theme music composer||Hans Carste|
|Opening theme||"Hammond Fantasy"|
|Country of origin||Germany|
|Running time||5–15 min|
|Original network||Das Erste
several other ARD channels
|Original release||26 December 1952 – present|
|Related shows||Tagesthemen, Nachtmagazin|
Tagesschau is a German national and international television news service produced by state-run Norddeutscher Rundfunk (Northern German Broadcasting) on behalf of the German public-service television network ARD.
The main edition of the programme is aired at 20:00 on Das Erste. It is also simulcast on several ARD-affiliated networks, including NDR Fernsehen, RBB Fernsehen, SWR Fernsehen, WDR Fernsehen, hr-fernsehen, 3sat, Phoenix, EinsPlus and ARD-alpha. It is also broadcast 24 hours a day via tagesschau24.
Tagesschau (literally "Day's Show", or loosely "(Re)view of the Day"; a play on the term Wochenschau, the weekly newsreel formerly shown in cinemas) is both the oldest and the most watched news program on German television. The first edition was transmitted on Nordwestdeutscher Rundfunk (North-Western German Broadcasting) on 26 December 1952. Initially broadcast three times a week, the programme expanded in 1956 to air Monday to Saturday, with Sunday editions beginning in 1961. The nightly 8-pm edition of Tagesschau is watched by up to 10 million viewers, equivalent to a 33% audience reach. Currently, the bulletin is produced by NDR (Northern German Broadcasting) through ARD-aktuell (the ARD's news department) from its studios in Hamburg.
The main 15-minute bulletin is broadcast at 20:00 CET or CEST each evening with shorter bulletins broadcast throughout the day. The end of the 20:00 bulletin, at 20:15, marks the beginning of prime time on German television. An attempt by commercial station Sat.1 in the late 1990s to begin their prime time schedule at 20:00 was so unsuccessful; it was discontinued after only a few weeks.
In 1978, the late edition of Tagesschau was replaced by Tagesthemen (Subjects of the Day or "Themes of the Day"), a half-hour programme featuring more in-depth reports, analysis, and commentary. The programme continues to air at 22:15 each evening. A late-night, magazine-style programme, Nachtmagazin (Night Magazine), airs at around 00:30. A weekly review programme entitled Wochenspiegel (Mirror of the Week) was produced by the Tagesschau production team and aired on Sundays around lunch time. The program was axed on August 24, 2014 in a major reshuffle.
The program's trademark continues to be the eight o'clock chime followed by a recorded announcement, spoken by Claudia Urbschat-Mingues, "Hier ist das Erste Deutsche Fernsehen mit der Tagesschau" ("This is First German Television with the Tagesschau"). The Tagesschau theme music has remained the same since 1956, although the arrangement has been modernized several times, most recently in 2014 by Hans Zimmer.
On July 25, 1988 the Tagesschau was imminent to be cancelled due to a warning strike organized by the broadcasting union RFFU. This blackout would have been for the first (and only) time in its history, but the Rundschau from Bavaria, produced by Bayerisches Fernsehen in Munich, helped out as a substitute program.
Tagesschau aired its 20,000th broadcast on 31 December 2010.
- 1964–1987 Karl-Heinz Köpcke (newsreader from 1959)
- 1987–1995 Werner Veigel (newsreader from 1966)
- 1995–1999 Dagmar Berghoff (newsreader from 1976)
- 2000–2004 Jo Brauner (newsreader from 1974)
- 2004–present Jan Hofer (newsreader from 1985)
- Ellen Arnhold, since 1987
- Jens Riewa, since 1994
- Claus-Erich Boetzkes, since 1995
- Susanne Daubner, since 1999
- Thorsten Schröder, since 2000
- Susanne Holst, since 2001
- Astrid Vits, since 2004
- Michail Paweletz, since 2004
- Tarek Youzbachi, since 2004
- Judith Rakers, since 2005
- Linda Zervakis, since 2010
in alphabetical order
- Marc Bator, 2001-2013
- Ina Bergmann, 1997–2001
- Dagmar Berghoff, 1976–1999
- Jo Brauner, 1974–2004
- Elfi Marten-Brockmann, 1981–1984
- Lothar Dombrowski, 1967–1974
- Laura Dünnwald, 2001-2010
- Klaus Eckert, 1978–1983
- Karl Fleischer, 1960–1994
- Caroline Hamann, 2007-2009
- Jan Thilo Haux
- Eva Herman, 1989–2007
- Georg Hopf, 1975–1985
- Horst Jaedicke
- Silke Jürgensen, 2002–2005
- Karl-Heinz Köpcke 1959–1987
- Franz Laake, 1988–1993
- Siegmar Ruhmland, 1960–1963
- Diether von Sallwitz
- Manfred Schmidt, 1962–1964
- Robert Schröder, 1988
- Susan Stahnke, 1992–1999
- Wilhelm Stöck, 1965–1984
- Martin Svoboda
- Harry Teubner, 1978–1980
- Martin Thon
- Werner Veigel, 1966–1995
- Cay Dietrich Voss, 1952–1962
- Wilhelm Wieben, 1972–1998
- Daniela Witte, 1985–1988
- Günter Wiatrek, 1974–1975
- Claus Wunderlich, 1959–1962
- 1987: Goldene Kamera best TV anchorwoman for Dagmar Berghoff
- 1997: Goldenes Kabel Publikumspreis in Silber for the best news broadcast
- 2000: Deutscher Comedypreis special award for unvoluntary comedy
- 2003: Bayerischer Filmpreis special award for the best editorial teams during 50 years
- 2012: Grimme Online Award for the "Tagesschau" app
- 2014: Eyes and Ears Award for the new studio design, animations and grafic techniques.
Media studies and criticism
Plurality of perspectives lacking
The long-term study of the Otto Brenner Stiftung by Hans-Jürgen Arlt and Wolfgang Storz from March 2010 on „Business Journalism during the crisis - The mass media handling of the financial market policy" analyzed working methods of the news broadcasts from 1999 to fall 2009, especially in news formats like „Tagesschau“ und „Tagesthemen“. The study arrives at the conclusion that these formats failed during the crisis, due to the editorial team's lack of different perspectives, focusing solely on representatives of the German government, banks, some scientists and their points of view. „This narrowing of perspective leads to severe losses of reality which is to be considered as serious journalistic misconduct."
Bias (in covering the Ukraine-Crisis 2013/2014)
In September 2014, following the critical review of the editorial council (Programmbeirat), ARD-aktuell stated: „Criticsm of our news-coverage repecting the Ukraine has caused an echo on a hitherto unprecedented scale.“ 
- Fink, Günter (27 July 2005). "Hätten Sie's gewußt?" (in German). Hamburger Abendblatt.
- http://blog.tagesschau.de/2014/09/29/zwischenbilanz-der-ukraine-konflikt-in-der-tagesschau/, Kai Gniffke: Zwischenbilanz: Der Ukraine-Konflikt in der Tagesschau, ARD-aktuell vom 29. September 2014, abgerufen am 15.Januar 2015