Tagesthemen (stylized as tagesthemen①) is one of Germany's main daily television news magazines, presented by journalists Caren Miosga and Thomas Roth. Second only to the 20:00 Tagesschau ("Review of the Day") Tagesthemen ("Issues Of The Day") is ARD's most important newscast. It is clearly different in style and content from Tagesschau and is broadcast Mondays to Thursdays at 22:15, Fridays at 23:15, Saturdays at varying times and Sundays at 22:45. Each Tagesthemen broadcast has a single host. Previously recorded Tagesthemen newscasts can also be seen internationally via YouTube on Tagesschau's YouTube Channel. For a time, Anne Will and Ulrich Wickert took turns hosting the program. On September 1, 2006, Tom Buhrow replaced Wickert and on July 16, 2007, Caren Miosga replaced Anne Will. On August 5, 2013, Thomas Roth replaced Tom Buhrow. On October 24, 2016, Ingo Zamperoni replaced Thomas Roth.
In January 1978, Tagesthemen replaced the late edition of Tagesschau, which had been broadcast until then. The broadcast lasts a half hour on weekdays; it is shorter on Fridays (15 minutes) Saturdays (20 minutes) and Sundays (15 minutes).
In contrast to Tagesschau, which provides only an overview of the news, Tagesthemen is designed to also provide the viewer with more information, context and background. The program usually features four to five segments on the stories and themes of the day.
Previously, the program used a variation of the Hammond Fantasy/Tagesschau theme, with the first and last notes in the same keys. From the mid 1990s to 2015 Tagesthemen used the same music as Tagesschau. Currently Tagesthemen uses a different variation of the Hammond Fantasy similar to the previous Tagesthemen theme but in all different keys.
Tagesschau editorial staff provide a daily news summary to the program. A weather report has not been part of the news summary since 2002, but instead is presented on Tagesthemen in cooperation with Meteomedia AG, a privately owned company.
Tagesthemen's market share sank with the opening of media competition in Germany; nevertheless, it still lies today at about 12%—this amounts to about 2.5 million viewers per broadcast. Tagesthemen is one of the most influential opinion builders in Germany.
Since October 1, 1985, Tagesthemen, like Tagesschau, has been presented by various hosts. Since the start, the hosts alternate weekly.
The hosts write their scripts themselves. Also, these are not read exclusively from paper, which gives the presentation a much looser style than Tagesschau. Since the Tagesthemen hosts are not restricted to simply reading the daily dispatches, they can develop a lively, personal style compared to their colleagues at Tagesschau, although they are still required to be neutral and objective.
- Klaus Stephan 1978-1978
- Alexander von Bentheim, 1978 - 1980
- Barbara Dickmann, 1979 - 1983
- Klaus-Peter Siegloch, 1982 - 1985
- Ulrike Wolf, October 1985- July 1987
- Ulrich Deppendorf, substitute from 1993–1999
- Edmund Gruber, 1984 - ???
- Wolf von Lojewski, 1978- 1979
- Gisela Mahlmann 1980-1981
- Klaus Bednarz, 1982 - 1983
- Gerhard Fuchs , 1982-1985
- Günther von Lojewski ,1978 - ???
- Günther Müggenburg, 1978 - 1983
- Ernst-Dieter Lueg, 1978 - 1985
- Rüdiger Hoffmann, 1982 - 1985
- Ingo Zamperoni, Jan 2013- Jan 2014
- Otto Deppe, 1982-1983
- Elke Herrmann, 1984- 1985
- Hannelore Gadatsch, 1984- 1985
- Sabine Christiansen, August 1987 - September 1997
- Hanns Joachim Friedrichs, October 1985- July 1991
- Gabi Bauer, September 1997 - April 2001
- Ulrich Wickert, July 1991 - August 2006
- Anne Will, April 2001 - June 2007
- Tom Buhrow, September 2006 - August 2013
- Caren Miosga, since July 16, 2007
- Thomas Roth, 2013-2016
- Pinar Atalay, since March 2014
On August 12, 2014 Tagesthemen host Caren Miosga honored the deceased Hollywood actor Robin Williams by standing on the host's desk. With this gesture she alluded to Williams' movie Dead Poets Society, one of Williams' most well-known movies in whose final scene pupils stand atop of their desks to show respect toward their teacher played by the deceased actor.
- ""Tagesthemen": Zamperoni geht nach Washington - DWDL.de". DWDL.de. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- Official site (in German)
- Tagesthemen via Tagesschau's YouTube Channel.
- Wikipedia.de: Alle bilden alle - Report by Tagesthemen on the German-language Wikipedia (in German)
- Interview: "Kontrollinstanz sind die Nutzer selbst" - Interview by Tagesthemen (in German)
- Interview with Ulrich Wickert: "Bunt und locker flockig reicht nicht" (in German, by sbznet.de)