Cizre, Şırnak Province, Turkey
November 28, 2015 (aged 48–49)|
Tahir Elçi (1966 – November 28, 2015) was a Kurdish lawyer and the chairman of Diyarbakır Bar Association. He was assassinated in the Sur district of Diyarbakir in southeastern Turkey on 28 November 2015. He was shot once in the head while giving a press statement beside the "Four-legged Minaret" of the Sheikh Matar Mosque calling for an end to violence.
Elçi was detained several times and received death threats after saying the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) should not be regarded as a terrorist organization. In October 2015, Elçi was detained by Turkish authorities on charges of disseminating "terrorist propaganda" on behalf of the PKK. On 23 March 2014, he was the lawyer of the Kuşkonar massacre case in the ECHR, in which Turkey was condemned for massacring Kurdish civilians and blaming the PKK.
Controversy surrounding death
The Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) called the shooting a "planned assassination," and protests erupted in Turkey after Elçi's killing. Elçi's brother Ahmet Elçi was quoted as saying that his brother was "murdered by the state." A Turkish official later issued a statement saying that "we aren't ruling out the possibility that a third party directly targeted him." Turkish authorities claim that the PKK might be behind the assassination. In June 2016, Turkish authorities claimed that a captured militant have witnessed PKK militants Uğur Yakışır and Mahsum Gürkhan open fire upon Tahir Elçi the moment he collapsed dead.
The HDP leader Selahattin Demirtaş claimed in his interview on IMC TV that according to their investigators, the bullet which killed Tahir Elçi was fired by a Turkish police officer.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tahir Elçi.|
- Bozarsian, Mahmut (November 28, 2015). "Protests as top Kurdish lawyer gunned down in Turkey". Yahoo! News. Agence France-Presse. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Tahir Elçi killed in clashes". Milliyet (in Turkish). November 28, 2015. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Pro-Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey". BBC. 28 November 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Tahir Elçi'nin abisi: Net olan tek şey var; kardeşimi devlet katletti" (in Turkish). ANF. November 28, 2015. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- ""Tahir Elçi'yi öldüren kurşunun polisin silahından çıktığı kesin" -". imc-tv.net. Retrieved 26 November 2016.