|President of the Movement for United Albania|
Assumed office |
16 July 2016
|Preceded by||Post established|
19 February 1984
Glogovac, SFR Yugoslavia
|Resting place||Tirana, Albania|
|Political party||Movement for United Albania|
|Profession||Politician, author and political analyst|
Kastriot Berishaj (born Tahir Veliu on 19 February 1984) is an Albanian politician, author and political analyst. He is leader of the nationalist Movement for United Albania and the author of the book "The Platform for United Albania".
Because of his activities in all of Albanian territories. On 7 August 2016, he has been declared as persona non grata in Serbia. Likewise, on 13 August 2016. He has been banned from entering Greece. Veliu was arrested by the Greek authorities and subsequently deported to the border crossing of Kakavija, as he is considered a threat to Greece, because of his extremist political views on uniting the Albanian and foreign territories into a single Greater Albanian state.
On 6 June 2017, he was arrested by the Albanian Police at the Albania-Kosovo border and is currently facing charges of burning foreign flags, igniting national hatred, distribution of unconstitutional printed material, and creation of unconstitutional parties & associations.
On 11 July 2017, the court of Tirana, deemed Veliu's Movement for United Albania to be legal according to the constitution of the Republic of Albania, which recognizes the right to national unification as a legitimate and constitutional right.
In April 2018, as he considered his full birth name to be an unwanted "imposition" of Turkish culture on Albanians from the Ottoman era he announced that his full name Tahir Veliu was changed to Kastriot Berishaj.
- The Platform for United Albania
- "Montenegro Could Admit 'Greater Albania' Campaigner". Balkan Insight. August 18, 2016.
- "Policia serbe shpall person non grata kryetarin e Lëvizjes për Shqipëri të Bashkuar z. Tahir Veliu". Newspaper "Nacional Albania" - in Albanian. August 7, 2016.
- "President of Movement for United Albania declared person non grata by Greece". Information Agency United Albania. August 14, 2016.
- "Greek flag arsonist arrested (Arrestohet zjarrvënësi i flamurit grek)". sarandaweb.net. June 7, 2017.
- "Greek flags lifted at Aliko's Meadows, head of LSHB arrested at the border (Hoqi flamujt grekë në Livadhja e Aliko, arrestohet në kufi kreu i LSHB)". Gazeta Standard Online. June 7, 2017.
- "Albanian extremist who burned Greek flags, got arrested (Συνελήφθη ο Αλβανός εξτρεμιστής που έκαιγε ελληνικές σημαίες)". Newspaper "To Pontiki". June 8, 2017.
- "Handcuffs to Albanian Tahir Veliu who burned Greek flags - Attacks in areas of the Greek Minority! (Xειροπέδες στον Αλβανό Ταχίρ Βέλιου που έκαιγε ελληνικές σημαίες - Επιθέσεις σε περιοχές της ελληνικής μειονότητας!)". PRO NEWS. June 8, 2017.
- "The head of the United Movement for Albania, Tahir Veliu is arrested (Vihet në arrest kryetari i Lëvizjes për Shqipëri të Bashkuar, Tahir Veliu)". 27.al. June 8, 2017.
- "Tirana legalized the Movement for United Albania (Legalizohet në Tiranë Lëvizja për Shqipëri të Bashkuar)". Koha.net. July 11, 2017.
- "Albania legalized the nationailist movement that seeks unification of albanian territories (Albanija legalizuje nacionalistički pokret radi otimanja teritoraja svojih suseda )". Intermagazin. June 13, 2017.
- "Albania: Legitimizes the Nationalist Movement for Soil Claims in Neighboring Countries (Αλβανία: Νόμιμο το Εθνικιστικό Κίνημα για διεκδικήσεις εδαφών γειτονικών χωρών)". Himara.gr. July 13, 2017.
- "Tahir Veliu heq emrin e imponuar turk, tash e tutje quhet Kastriot Berishaj". Bota Sot. 6 April 2018.