Taiwan Strait Tunnel Project
The Taiwan Strait Tunnel Project is a proposed undersea tunnel to connect Pingtan in Mainland China to Hsinchu in Taiwan as part of the G3 Beijing–Taipei Expressway. First proposed in 1996, the project has since been subject to a number of academic discussions and feasibility studies, including by the China Railway Engineering Corporation. The route between Pingtan and Hsinchu was chosen because of its short distance (compared to other proposed routes) and its relative geological stability (in a region frequented by earthquakes). One expert from the Chinese Academy of Engineering suggested in 2005 that the Taiwan Strait Tunnel Project was one of five major undersea tunnel projects under consideration for the next twenty to thirty years.
Currently, the project is not considered viable due lack of interest from the Taiwanese, staggering costs and unsolved technical problems. At nearly 150 km, the proposed tunnel would be nearly three times longer than the Channel Tunnel. In addition, Taiwan is concerned about the tunnel's potential use by China in aggressive military actions. Nonetheless, in July 2013, the Chinese State Council approved plans for the project, although this "approval" is practically meaningless. Construction would still require approval by the Taiwanese government, which is highly unlikely.
- G3 Beijing-Taipei Expressway
- Beijing–Taipei High-Speed Rail Corridor
- G99 Taiwan Ring Expressway
- China National Highway 228
- "Large basalt reef may make Taiwan Strait Tunnel come true". Whats On Xiamen. 25 November 2009. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Discussion on Options of Taiwan Strait Crossing Project and Qiongzhou Strait Crossing Project by 9 Academicians held in Luoyang, China: Several of Them Agree with Tunnel Option". China Civil Engineering Society. 26 April 2011. Archived from the original on 18 July 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- Li, Dapeng (8 November 2005). "Feasibility of cross-Straits tunnel discussed". China Daily. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "China plans to build tunnel linking Taiwan: expert". China Daily. 13 May 2005. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Taipei says thanks but no to cross-strait tunnel plan". Taipei Times. 26 April 2007. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Beijing moves forward on plans for tunnel to Taiwan". WantChinaTimes.com. 21 July 2013. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2013.