|Traded as||TYO: 6976
Nikkei 225 Component
|Founded||Tokyo, Japan (March 23, 1950 )|
|Headquarters||6-16-20, Ueno, Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-0005, Japan|
|Shoichi Tosaka, (CEO and President)|
|Revenue||JPY) (FY 2012)|
|JPY) (FY 2012)|
Number of employees
2,632 (non-consolidated) (as of March 31, 2013)
|Footnotes / references
Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd. (太陽誘電株式会社 Taiyō Yūden Kabushiki-gaisha?, translated as Sun Dielectric Co., Ltd.) is a Japanese materials and electronics company, situated in Ueno, Taito, Tokyo, that helped pioneer recordable CD technology (CD-R) along with Sony and Philips in 1988. Founded 60 years ago, Taiyo Yuden currently operates factories in Japan, Singapore, Korea, China, the Philippines, Taiwan, Malaysia, and Thailand.
The company employs almost twenty thousand people worldwide and reports annual sales of more than $2 billion. The current CEO and President is Shoichi Tosaka. The company is a constituent of the Nikkei 225 stock market index.
Taiyo Yuden was established by Hikohachi Sato on March 23, 1950, in Suginami, Tokyo.
The world's first axial leaded ceramic capacitor is developed by company in July 1976.
That's branded Audio tape, known as Triad in North America, was introduced to the market in 1982.
Since 1985, Taiyo Yuden has annually published Needs & Seeds (Taiyo Yuden Technical Report, ISSN 0911-5439).
In October 1988, the world's first CD-R was made by Taiyo Yuden and presented to the public under the brand name That's CD-R, however development had already begun as early as in summer 1985.
In October 2008, JVC and Taiyo Yuden set up a new joint venture, called Victor Advanced Media. In February of the same year the world's first recordable Blu-ray Disc using an organic dye recording layer is launched.
On June 11, 2015, Taiyo Yuden announced that they will withdraw from the recording media business, including CDs, DVDs, BDs, at the end of 2015. The same day, START Lab Inc. announced that they will end up selling optical disks at the end of February 2016.
- Bluetooth modules
- CCFL Inverters
- Ferrite Beads
- High Frequency Multilayer Chip Antenna
- High Frequency Multilayer Chip Filter
- Inductors (multilayer, wire-wound chip, axial/radial leaded)
- Power Supplies (now redirected to Tamura Corp.)
- Recording media (made by That's Fukushima for START Lab)
- Simulation Tools
- Piezoelectric speakers
Taiyo Yuden branded products were not common outside Japan (where Taiyo Yuden media had a market share of about 60%) but unbranded CDs and DVDs were available from some online retailers. Rebranded Taiyo Yuden media could be found under Fujifilm, Fusion, Maxell (Maxell Music CD-R, Maxell CD-R Pro, and Maxell CD-R Music Pro (discontinued)), Miflop, Panasonic, Plextor, Sony (Sony Music CD-R (discontinued 2008)), TDK, and Verbatim Corporation brands. In Japan, Korea and Greece, Taiyo Yuden was distributing its own brand "That's".
In October 2008 Taiyo Yuden partnered with JVC to form JVC Advanced Media as a marketing plan to distribute Taiyo Yuden media globally under the JVC brand name. DVD media manufactured by Taiyo Yuden have the following media codes:
|media code||hub stamper code|
|TAIYOYUDEN: 2× DVD-R||GBxxxxxx|
|TYG01: 4× DVD-R||GDxxxxxx|
|TYG02: 8× DVD-R||GGxxxxxx|
|TYG03: 16× DVD-R||GHxxxxxx|
|TYG11: 8× DVD-R DL||BGxxxxxx*|
|YUDEN000 T01: 4× DVD+R||TCxxxxxx or TSxxxxxx|
|YUDEN000 T02: 8× DVD+R||TGxxxxxx|
|YUDEN000 T03: 16× DVD+R||THxxxxxx|
|* Considered incompatible with burners using outdated firmware|
The following companies belong to the Taiyo Yuden group:
- Taiyo Chemical Industry Co., Ltd., inorganic chemicals
- Chuki Seiki Co., Ltd., electronics
- Tsukiyono Denshi Co., Ltd.
- Akagi Electronics Co., Ltd., manufacturing services
- Taiyo Fukushi Co., Ltd.
- START Lab Inc. (49.9% joint venture with Sony Corporation), distribution of That's brand optical media
- That's Fukushima Co., Ltd., manufacturing optical (CD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, BD-R LTH) media in Date, Fukushima
- S.E.T. Co., Ltd.
- Sun Vertex Co., Ltd.
- Kankyo Assist Co., Ltd., polycarbonate recycling
- Dongguan Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd.
- Taiyo Yuden (Guangdong) Co., Ltd.
- Taiyo Yuden (Shanghai) Trading Co., Ltd.
- Taiyo Yuden (Tianjin) Electronics Co., Ltd., part of Korea Tong Yang Yujun Co., Ltd.
- Taiyo Yuden Europe GmbH
- Hong Kong Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd.
- Korea Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd., production of circuitry products (inverters for LCD panels, battery protection modules for mobile devices, high-density surface mount boards)
- Korea Tong Yang Yujun Co., Ltd., production of conventional capacitors and inductors
- Korea Kyong Nam Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd., production of multilayer capacitors
- Taiyo Yuden (Malaysia) SDN. BHD.
- Taiyo Yuden (Sarawak) Sdn. Bhd.
- Taiyo Yuden (Philippines) Inc.
Established in 1988 and located at the MEPZ 1 industrial hub at Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu. Primarily pioneered the assembly and mass production of inductors for various companies namely Sony, Nokia, Panasonic, Matsushita Electronics, Seagate, etc.
- Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd. Manila Representative Office
- Taiyo Yuden (Singapore) Pte Ltd
- Taiwan Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd.
- TAIYO YUDEN TRADING (THAILAND) Co., Ltd
- Taiyo Yuden (U.S.A.) Inc.
- TRDA Inc. (Taiyo Yuden R&D Center of America), R&D on Bluetooth technology
- "Corporate Overview". Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "11-year Summary". Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Consolidated Financial Statements 2013" (PDF). Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Taiyo Yuden Executives".
- "Components:Nikkei Stock Average". Nikkei Inc. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Company History". Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "CD-Rの発明開発商品化" (PDF). Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- (Eng.)Needs & Seeds
- "WORLD PC EXPO 2000会場レポート". PC Watch. October 18, 2000. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Taiyo Yuden to shift plants out of America". New Straits Times. October 22, 1992. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Taiyo Yuden to Acquire All Shares of Shoei Electronics" (PDF). Taiyo Yuden. February 2, 2007. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "About Us - Victor Advanced Media". Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Withdrawal from the Recording Media Business". www.t-yuden.com. Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd. 2015-06-11. Retrieved 2015-06-13.
- kg_evilboy (2 May 2006). "The Taiyo Yuden FAQ Version 1.04". Club MyCE. Retrieved December 21, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taiyo Yuden.|