Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015)|
|Traded as||BSE: 500850, NSE: INDHOTEL|
|Industry||Hospitality and tourism|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|MD & CEO
Rakesh Sarna (1 September 2014 - Present) 
|Revenue||₹1924.79 crore (US$290 million) (FY2012-13)|
|₹453.34 crore (US$68 million) (FY2012-13)|
|₹1924.79 crore (US$290 million) (FY2012-13)|
Indian Hotels Company Limited (IHCL), branded as Taj Group, is a chain of hotels and resorts headquartered at Oxford House in Mumbai, which was incorporated by the founder of the Tata group, Jamsetji Tata, in the year 1903. This company is a part of the Tata group, one of India's largest business conglomerates. As of 2015, Taj Group operates 108 hotels across India and 17 hotels in the UK, USA, Africa, Maldives, Malaysia, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and the Middle East, and employed over 13000 people in the year 2010. Taj Group also owns a few private islands.
Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata, founder of the Tata Group, opened the Taj Mahal Palace, a hotel in Mumbai (then, Bombay) overlooking the Arabian Sea, on 16 December 1903. It was the first Taj property and the first Taj hotel. There are several anecdotal stories about why Tata opened the Taj hotel. According to a story he decided to open the hotel after an incident involving racial discrimination at the Watson's Hotel in Mumbai, where he was refused entry as the hotel permitted only Europeans. Hotels which accepted only European guests were very common across British India then but it seems far too petty a reason to fire a man of the calibre of Jamsetji Tata. According to another story he opened the hotel when one of his friends expressed his disgust about the hotels which were present in Bombay then. But a more plausible reason was advanced by Lovat Fraser, a close friend of the Tata and one of the early directors of the IHCL group, that the idea had long been in his mind and that he had made a study on the subject. He did not have any desire to own a hotel but he wanted to attract people to India and to improve Bombay. It is said that Jamsetji Tata had travelled to places like London, Paris, Berlin and Düsseldorf to arrange for materials and pieces of art, furniture and interior artefacts for his hotel. The Taj group has since then developed and flourished, under the Tata Group.
In 1974, the group opened India's first international five star deluxe beach resort, the Fort Aguada Beach Resort in Goa. In 1970s, the Taj Group also began its business in metropolitan hotels, opening the five-star deluxe hotel, Taj Coromandel in Chennai, in 1974, acquiring an equity interest and operating contract for the Taj President (now Vivanta by Taj - President), a business hotel in Mumbai, in 1977, and also opening the Taj Mahal Hotel in Delhi in 1978.
The group has been converting royal palaces in India into luxury hotels since the 1970s. The first palace to be converted into a Taj luxury hotel was the Lake Palace in Udaipur, in 1971. Other examples include the Rambagh Palace in Jaipur, Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur, Falaknuma Palace in Hyderabad and Nadesar Palace in Varanasi.
In 1980, the Taj group opened its first hotel outside India, the Taj Sheba Hotel in Sana'a, in Yemen and in the late 1980s, acquired interests in the St. James' Court Hotel (now comprising Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences and St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel) in London. In 1984, the Taj group acquired, under a license agreement, each of the Taj West End in Bangalore, Taj Connemara (now Vivanta by Taj - Connemara) in Chennai and Savoy Hotel in Ooty. With the opening of the Taj West End in Bangalore, the Taj Group made its foray into Bangalore. The five star deluxe hotel, Taj Bengal in Kolkata, was opened in the year 1989, and with this the Taj group became the only hotel chain in India with a presence in the six major metropolitan cities of India, namely Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai.
Concurrently with the expansion of its luxury hotel chain in the major metropolitan cities, the Taj Group also expanded its business hotels division in the major metropolitan and large secondary cities in India. During the 1990s, the Taj Group continued to expand its geographic and market coverage in India. It developed specialized operations (such as wildlife lodges) and consolidated its position in established markets through the upgrading of existing properties and development of new properties. Taj also set up the Taj Kerala Hotels and Resorts Limited in the early 1990s along with the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation.
|Continent||Country||Town / City / Location||Hotel Name|
|Africa||South Africa||Cape Town||Taj Cape Town|
|Asia||India||Bangalore||The Taj West End|
|Hyderabad||Taj Falaknuma Palace|
|Jodhpur||Umaid Bhawan Palace|
|Mumbai||The Taj Mahal Palace|
|New Delhi||The Taj Mahal Hotel|
|Udaipur||Taj Lake Palace|
|Maldives||Malé Atoll (South)||Taj Exotica Resort & Spa|
|North America||USA||Boston||Taj Boston|
|New York||The Pierre|
|San Francisco||Taj Campton Place|
Two hotels of the Taj group, namely Rambagh Palace in Jaipur and the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai, were ranked in 2013 by Condè Nast Traveler among the Top 100 Hotels and Resorts in the World. In late 2013, the Indian Traveller magazine ranked Taj Lake Palace in Udaipur and Taj Exotica Resort & Spa in Maldives on ranks 34 and 98, respectively, in the list of 100 Best Hotels & Resorts. Condè Nast Traveler also ranked the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai on number 13 in the list of Gold Standard Hotels, in 2014.
Since the late 2000s, the Taj hotels' group started organising its hotels into different brands, in a market segmentation strategy.
- Taj/Taj luxury - The luxury brand is the erstwhile generic brand of the Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces. These hotels cover business destinations, landmarks, palaces, resorts and forest destinations. Most of Taj's oldest and most prestigious hotels have been retained under this brand.
- Taj Exotica - It is the resort and spa brand of Taj Hotels.
- Taj Safaris - The wildlife lodges amidst the Indian national parks and national parks come under this brand label. The brand has modelled on the concept of sustainable eco-tourism.
- Vivanta by Taj - Vivanta is a contemporary-luxury hotel brand. The brand caters to an upscale market and is positioned a step below the flagship Taj brand. Vivanta Hotels are found business and vacation destinations as well.
- The Gateway Hotels and Resorts - Gateway is a mid-market brand, positioned below the Vivanta. It contains properties in business and vacation destinations like Vivanta does. The Gateway Hotel brand was created by Taj in its earlier market segmentation effort in the 1990s, and has been retained and expanded in the current wave of brand-segmentation.
- Taj Luxury Residences
- Indian Institute of Hotel Management, Aurangabad - IHCL has been operating the Indian Institute of Hotel Management at Aurangabad since 1993. The institute offers a four-year diploma, designed with the help of international faculty and has affiliations with several American and European programmes.
- Jiva Spa - It is the spa brand of the IHCL group and consists of the spas at selected hotels of the IHCL group.
- Taj Air - IHCL operates Taj Air, an air charter company.
- Taj Khazana - It is a chain of luxury lifestyle stores located across India, in cities such as Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, and Goa, in select Taj Hotels. It is a boutique which showcases and stocks artefacts, collectibles, apparels, garments and accessories created by Indian craftsmen and designers. It has been reviving of the traditional works of Indian artisans since its inception.
- Taj SATS - Taj SATS Air Catering Ltd is the largest airline catering service in South Asia, as a joint venture of IHCL with SATS.
- Taj Yachts - The IHCL group also operates Taj Yachts and has two three bedroom luxury yachts.
List of hotels
(Note : The following list is a list of the present hotels of the IHCL group. The brands of a few hotels are not clear, and to avoid wrong information the brand has been mentioned as unclear. )
Hotels in India
|Town / City / Location||Brand||Hotel Name|
|Agra||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Fatehabad Road|
|Ahmedabad||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Ummed|
|Aurangabad||Vivanta||Vivanta By Taj - Aurangabad|
|Bandhavgarh National Park||Taj Safari||Mahua Kothi|
|Bangalore||Luxury||The Taj West End|
|Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - M G Road|
|Vivanta by Taj - Whitefield|
|Vivanta by Taj - Yeshwantpur|
|Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Residency Road|
|Ginger Bangalore - Inner Ring Road|
|Bekal||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Bekal|
|Calicut||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Beach Road|
|Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Connemara|
|Vivanta by Taj - Fisherman's Cove|
|Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - IT Expressway|
|Ginger||Ginger Chennai - Vadapalani|
|Ginger Chennai IITM|
|Unclear||Taj Club House|
|Chikmagalur||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - K. M. Road|
|Coimbatore||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Surya|
|Coonoor||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Church Road|
|Coorg||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Madikeri|
|East Delhi||Ginger||Ginger East Delhi|
|Ernakulam||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Marine Drive|
|Gir Forest||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Gir Forest|
|Goa||Exotica||Taj Exotica Resort & Spa|
|Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Fort Aguada|
|Vivanta by Taj - Holiday Village|
|Vivanta by Taj - Panaji|
|Gwalior||Unclear||Usha Kiran Palace|
|Gurgaon||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Gurgaon|
|Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Damdama Lake|
|Gondia||Gateway||The Gateway Gondia|
|Hyderabad||Luxury||Taj Falaknuma Palace|
|Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Begumpet|
|Hubli||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Lakeside|
|Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Ramgarh Lodge|
|Unclear||Jai Mahal Palace|
|Jaisalmer||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Rawalkot|
|Jodhpur||Luxury||Umaid Bhawan Palace|
|Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Hari Mahal|
|Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Jodhpur|
|Kanha National Park||Taj Safari||Banjaar Tola|
|Kochi||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Malabar|
|Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - E M Bypass Road|
|Kovalam||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj Green Cove, Kovalam|
|Kumarakom||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Kumarakom|
|Lucknow||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Gomti Nagar|
|Madurai||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Pasumalai|
|Mangalore||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Old Port Road|
|Mumbai||Luxury||The Taj Mahal Palace & Tower|
|Taj Lands End|
|Luxury Residency||Taj Wellington Mews|
|Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - President|
|Ginger||Ginger Mumbai - Andheri East|
|Nashik||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Ambad|
|New Delhi||Luxury||Taj Palace|
|The Taj Mahal Hotel|
|Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador|
|Vivanta by Taj - Surajkund|
|Vivanta by Taj - Dwarka|
|Ginger||Ginger Rail Yatri Niwas - New Delhi|
|Noida||Ginger||Ginger Noida - Sector 63|
|Panna National Park||Taj Safari||Pashan Garh|
|Pench National Park||Taj Safari||Baghvan|
|Pimpri||Ginger||Ginger Pune - Pimpri|
|Pune||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Blue Diamond|
|Raipur||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - G. E. Road|
|Sawai Madhopur||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Sawai Madhopur Lodge|
|Srinagar||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Dal View|
|Surat||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Athwalines|
|Thiruvananthapuram||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum|
|Udaipur||Luxury||Taj Lake Palace|
|Vadodara||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Akota Gardens|
|Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Ganges|
|Varkala||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Janardhanapuram|
|Vijayawada||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - M G Road|
|Visakhapatnam||Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Beach Road|
|Wakad||Ginger||Ginger Pune - Wakad|
Hotels outside India
|Country||Town / City / Location||Brand||Hotel Name|
|Malaysia||Langkawi||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Rebak Island|
|Maldives||Malé Atoll (South)||Exotica||Taj Exotica Resort & Spa|
|Malé Atoll (North)||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Coral Reef|
|South Africa||Cape Town||Luxury||Taj Cape Town|
|Sri Lanka||Colombo||Luxury||Taj Samudra|
|Gateway||The Gateway Hotel - Airport Garden|
|Bentota||Vivanta||Vivanta by Taj - Bentota|
|UAE||Dubai||Luxury||Taj Palace Hotel|
|UK||London||Luxury||51 Buckingham Gate|
|St. James' Court|
|New York||The Pierre|
|San Francisco||Taj Campton Place|
- "Management of Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Home. Taj Hotels. Retrieved 14 November 2012. " 2012 The Indian Hotels Company Limited All rights reserved."
- "Company Introduction." Taj Hotels. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Taj Hotels Resorts & Palaces: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- "Contact Information" (select "Corporate Office"). Taj Hotels. Retrieved 14 November 2012. "Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces Oxford House 15/17 N.F. Road Apollo Bunder Mumbai 400,001 India"
- "The Indian Hotels Company (IHCL)". tata.co.in. Tata group. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- 21 Jun 2010, 12.35AM IST,ET Bureau (21 June 2010). "Crowne Plaza, Dow Corning & Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces - The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- "From Parsee priests to profits: say hello to Tata - Asia, World". The Independent. 1 February 2007. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- "Hotel List". lhw.com. Leading Hotels of The World. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "Top 100 Hotels & Resorts in the World". cntraveler.com. 15 October 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "100 Best Hotels & Resorts". internationaltravellermag.com. 7 December 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "GOLD STANDARD HOTELS 2014". cntraveller.com. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces.|
- Official Website of Taj Hotels Resorts & Palaces
- Official Website of St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, London
- Official Website of Taj 51 Bucklingham Gate Suites and Residences, London