Special forces of Iran
The name can refer to members of regular units who have successfully completed Commando or Ranger training courses and marines trained as S.B.S.; or the hand-selected and highly trained members serving in special forces.
Takavar (تکاور), plural Takavaran (تکاوران), literally meaning "single fighter", is the equivalent of "commando". The word "Commando" (کماندو) is also used in Persian. The term "Ranger" (رنجر), , is also used in some Army units.
Tofangdārān-e daryyi (تفنگداران دریائی) or takavaran-e daryayi (تکاوران دریایی) means "marines".
The word havabord (هوابرد) is used to refer to an airborne unit.
In the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution, one of its 5 branches, the elite Quds Force specialises in extraterritorial operations. In the Ground Forces, the Saberin Battalion is the most famous special unit. The Navy of the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution has its own Special Units of marines.
- Ground Forces
Ground Forces of Islamic Republic of Iran Army units whose members are trained at Lashkarak Takavar Training Centre:
- 23rd Takavar Division based in Parandak
- 58th Takavar Division (Zolfaghar Division) based in Shahroud
- 25th Takavar Brigade based in Pasveh
- 35th Takavar Brigade based in Kermanshah
- 45th Takavar Brigade based in Shushtar
- 55th Airborne Brigade based in Shiraz
- 65th Airborne Special Forces Brigade (NOHED Brigade) based in Tehran
- 1st Marine Brigade (Imam Hossein Brigade) based in Bandar Abbas
- 2nd Marine Brigade (Hazrat Rasul-i-Akram Brigade) based in Bushehr
- 3rd Marine Brigade (Hamza Sayyid-ush-Shuhda Brigade) based in Konarak
During the reign of the last Shah (king) of Iran, much of the naval training was created by members of the Soviet Union's Spetsnaz and the British Special Boat Service. Training is at least a 12-month process. After the recruit demonstrated the minimum physical requirements, he is sent to a collection of schools.
In the Law Enforcement Force of Islamic Republic of Iran, special forces are known as Yegan Vijeh (Persian: يگان ويژه). The Anti-Terror Special Force (NOPO) is the most elite unit within the force.
- "آشنايي مركز تفنگداران دريايي منجيل". Islamic Republic of Iran Army. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Qods (Jerusalem) Force". Federation of American Scientists Intelligence Resource Program. August 21, 1998. Archived from the original on 18 February 1999.
- "يگان ويژه "صابرين" چيست و چگونه مي توان عضو آن شد؟". Mashregh News. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "همکاري نوهد ارتش و صابرين سپاه". Mashregh News. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "همايش تفنگداران و تکاوران دريايي سپاه آغاز شد". Fars News Agency. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Takavaran, Naval Commandos". Special Operations. Com. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "گزارشي از مرکز آموزش تکاوران کلاه سبز/نيروي دريايي ارتش چگونه کلاه سبز تربيت مي کند+عکس". Mashregh News. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- Hossein Bastani (24 June 2014), Myth and Reality About NOPO Operations in Iran (in Persian), BBC, retrieved 28 September 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Special forces of Iran.|