Take Me with U
|"Take Me with U"|
|Single by Prince and the Revolution|
|from the album Purple Rain|
|A-side||"Let's Go Crazy" (UK)|
|B-side||"Baby I'm a Star"|
|Released||January 25, 1985|
|Recorded||January 27, 1984|
|Studio||Sunset Sound, Los Angeles|
|Length||3:52 (Album/12" Version)|
3:39 (7" Edit)
|Prince singles chronology|
|Prince UK singles chronology|
The song is sung as a duet with Apollonia Kotero, and was originally intended to be performed by Vanity but shortly before filming began on the movie Purple Rain, Vanity famously chose to quit participation in the film altogether when she was offered what appeared to be a lucrative contract with Motown Records exec Berry Gordy and began filming The Last Dragon (An early demo of the song exists with her vocals and has circulated on bootleg recordings by collectors.) and ceased her romantic relationship with Prince. The song was then intended for the Apollonia 6 album to coincide with the film, but was pulled for the Purple Rain soundtrack. A result of this addition, Prince made cuts to the suite-like original "Computer Blue", which circulates among collectors in an extended version (a portion of this second section of "Computer Blue" can be heard in the film Purple Rain as Prince walks in on the men of The Revolution rehearsing). The original version of the song was about a minute longer.
The single was released with an edit of album track "Baby I'm a Star" as its B-side. In the US, it reached number 40 on the Hot Black Singles chart and reached number 25 on the top 40 chart. In the UK, the song was issued as a double A-side single, coupled with "Let's Go Crazy", reaching number 7 in February 1985.
- Prince – lead vocals, guitars, overdubbed tom-toms, string arrangement
- Apollonia – co-lead vocals
- Wendy Melvoin – string conductor, guitars, background vocals
- Lisa Coleman – string arrangement, string conductor, keyboards, background vocals
- Matt Fink – keyboards, background vocals
- Brown Mark – bass guitar, background vocals
- Bobby Z. – drums, percussion
- David Coleman – cello
- Suzie Katayama – cello
- Novi Novog – violin and viola
7": Paisley Park / 7-29079 (US)
- "Take Me with U" (edit) – 3:42
- "Baby I'm a Star" (edit) – 2:55
- Partridge, Kenneth (June 24, 2014). "Prince's 'Purple Rain' at 30: Classic Track-by-Track Album Review". Billboard. Retrieved October 30, 2015.
- "Reviews" (PDF). Cash Box. February 9, 1985. p. 7. Retrieved 2022-07-26.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 471.
- "officialcharts.com". Official Charts. Retrieved April 8, 2021.
- Prince and the Revolution (May 4, 2019). "Purple Rain (Soundtrack Album)". Prince Vault.
- Prince and the Revolution (1984). Purple Rain Soundtrack (Album Notes). Warner Bros. Records.