Take This Heart
|"Take This Heart"|
|Single by Richard Marx|
|from the album Rush Street|
|A-side||"Take This Heart"|
|B-side||"I Get No Sleep"|
|Richard Marx singles chronology|
"Take This Heart" is a song by Richard Marx, the third single from his 1991 album Rush Street. It peaked at number twenty on the US Billboard Hot 100 while reaching number four on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. The song additionally reached the top 20 in Australia and the United Kingdom and peaked at number four in Canada.
In the video, Marx is seen playing for the Chicago Cubs against the Oakland A's, in the seventh game of the World Series (Marx was born in Chicago and is a noted Cubs fan). In the classic baseball clutch situation, ninth inning with two outs, he is called in to pinch-hit against A's star relief pitcher Dennis Eckersley. The baseball scenes, with commentary by announcer Bob Uecker, are intercut with footage of Marx and his band playing the song on the field of the A's ballpark, the Oakland Coliseum.
With two strikes against him, Marx hits a home run to win the game for Chicago, to the dismay of Oakland players Rickey Henderson and Jose Canseco. The scene then cuts to a dozing Marx being shaken awake backstage just before a concert, having dreamed the championship game. As he prepares to start the show, Uecker's cry of "The Cubs have won the World Series!" echoes in his head.
Since the game was played in Oakland, the A's (as the home team) would still bat in the bottom of the ninth, so Marx' homer could not have guaranteed a win for the Cubs. In addition, both teams are wearing their home uniforms.
- "Australian-charts.com – Richard Marx – Take This Heart". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 1973." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Top RPM Adult Contemporary: Issue 1936." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Take This Heart". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "Charts.nz – Richard Marx – Take This Heart". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Notowanie nr552" (in Polish). LP3. September 18, 1992. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Richard Marx Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Richard Marx Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Richard Marx Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "The RPM Top 100 Hit Tracks of 1992" (PDF). RPM. Vol. 56 no. 25. December 19, 1992. p. 8. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "The RPM Top 100 Hit tracks of 1992". RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1992". Retrieved July 30, 2010.