This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born in Hachijōjima, Japan, Okuyama began to train in Japan at the age of 7. In line with the family tradition, he practised sumo and judo. At the aged of 13 he started to learn karate from Kinjo from Okinawa. In 1960, he started to study at the Takushoku University in Japan. He studied political science and foreign trade, regularly training karate masters such as Tabata, Hamanaka, Ozawa and Tsuyama. In 1966, he arrived in the USA to continue his studies and trained for three years under the instruction of Takayuki Kubota. In 1970, he moved to Canada, where he is influential person in the Gosoku-ryu and Shotokan karate environment. In the same year he placed third in kumite at 5th Annual All-Stars Tournament. He established IKA Canada Kubota Cup in 1971  In 1992, Takayuki Kubota awarded him with the Kancho title and 8 dan degree in karate. In 1997, he published a book called Ultimate Karate (ISBN 0-9683373-0-9) which demonstrates karate techniques for the serious student, showing intricate applications of stances and hand techniques beyond the Heian katas and Tekki Shodan.
Okuyama received the Key to the City of Cali, Colombia from Mayor Ricardo Cobo, and special awards from the City of Be'er Sheva, Israel from Mayor Kakuv for peace work between Israel and Palestine.
Okuyama has also trained law enforcement personnel around the world including: Colombian Military & Special Forces Police, Canadian Military Police, Moscow Police, Israeli Military, Ecuador Police.
- Kathryn Laidlaw, Okuyama in: Martial Arts Features and Profiles Magazine vol. 3 issue 6 (September 1998), p 22
- Kathryn Laidlaw, The Diamond Career of Soke Kubota in: Martial Arts Features and Profiles Magazine vol. 3 issue 6 (September 1998), p 23
- The Canadian Kubota Cup Championships in: Secrets of the Masters Nov. 1992
- Black Belt Oct 1970, page 60
- Okuyama, Takemasa (1997). Ultimate Karate. Masters Martial Arts Supply (May 7, 1997). ISBN 0-9683373-0-9.
- Okuyama bio
- Okuyama's website