Satoh at the premiere of Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno in June 2014
|Born||21 March 1989|
Iwatsuki-ku, Saitama, Japan
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
Takeru Satoh (佐藤 健 Satō Takeru, born 21 March 1989) is a Japanese actor. He is best known for his leading role as Ryotaro Nogami in the Kamen Rider Den-O franchise, and as Himura Kenshin in the live-action Rurouni Kenshin film and its sequels.
- 1 Early and personal life
- 2 Career
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Stage performances
- 5 Discography
- 6 Photobooks
- 7 Awards
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early and personal life
Satoh was born on 21 March 1989 in Iwatsuki-ku, Saitama. He has a younger sister; his parents divorced when he was in middle school. He graduated from Koshigayakita High School, Saitama in 2007. In the same year, while shooting Kamen Rider Den-O, he was diagnosed with spontaneous Pneumothorax after complaining about pain in the left chest, and has since recovered. He celebrated his 20th birthday (a significant Coming of Age Day for Japanese youths) with a festival in Odaiba in Tokyo, called "Takeru Festival 2009".
2006-2008: Early career
Satoh was scouted by an agent from Amuse, Inc. in Harajuku in Tokyo when he was in senior high school, and made his debut in 2006. His first drama was Princess Princess D (TV Asahi) where he played the role of Toru Kouno. In 2007, he guest-starred in Shinigami no Ballad (Kentarō Ishihara) and gained popularity in the seventeenth installment of the Kamen Rider series as Ryotaro Nogami. Satoh attributes the popularity of Den-O to its comedic timing.
Following the success and popularity of Kamen Rider Den-O and a further two films, in spring 2008, Satoh starred in the award-winning TBS drama Rookies as Yuya Okada, one member of a high school baseball club consisting of a group of delinquents. Satoh considers his role in Rookies to be his breakout role even though he only played a minor supporting role. This was due to the fact that Rookies reached a much larger audience than any of his previous works as the drama was shown on prime time television. Satoh also featured in the special episode of Rookies and starred in the live-action in the summer of 2009.
Satoh reprised his role as Ryotaro (Den-O) in the third film of Kamen Rider Den-O in October 2008. This was Satoh's last time playing Ryotaro. During the same month, he starred in the drama Bloody Monday, based on the manga with the same name. He played Otoya Kujo, the best friend of main protagonist Fujimaru Takagi, who is played by fellow Amuse member and real life good friend Haruma Miura.
In early 2009, Satoh starred in Mei-chan no Shitsuji as Kento Shibata. He starred in the film Goemon in summer 2009, and also guest-starred on TV shows, Mr. Brain, True Horror Stories and MW Dai-0-sho. In 2010, he played Okada Izō in his first Taiga drama Ryōmaden and had a lead role in the film Beck co-starring Hiro Mizushima and Osamu Mukai, both of them being his co-stars from Mei-chan no Shitsuji. Following the release of the film, Satoh landed his first leading role on prime time television with teen drama Q10.
2012—present: Rurouni Kenshin, its movie sequels and career expansion
Released in August 2012, the film grossed a total of 3.01 billion yen at the domestic box office. Satoh made his stage debut as Romeo with the Japanese adaptation of Shakespearean classic Romeo and Juliet in May 2012.
His subsequent project Tonbi was a drama series based on a novel by Shigematsu Kiyoshi. He then starred in Real, a science fiction mystery movie directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, as well as The Liar and His Lover, a live-adaptation film based on the manga Kanojo wa Uso o Aishisugiteru.
In 2014, Satoh played the role of a rookie detective in Fuji TV's Bitter Blood. He reprised the role of Himura Kenshin in two sequel films of Rurouni Kenshin live action franchise, Kyoto Inferno and The Legend Ends, both of which were released in 2014. Satoh got recogniziton by Rurouni Kenshin manga author Nobuhiro Watsuki who, alongside his wife, found Satoh as an ideal actor him. He, alongside Rurouni Kenshin co-stars Emi Takei, Munetaka Aoki, and director Keishi Otomo was appointed as "Cultural Friendship Ambassador" to the Philippines by the Makati City council on 7 August 2014.
Riding upon his movie success, he made his TV return with the acclaimed TBS series The Emperor's Cook in early 2015. He followed up with 3 Toho Corporation films in 2015 and 2016 including the manga live adaptation Bakuman and light novel adaptation If Cats Disappeared from the World, as well as Somebody.
|2006||Princess Princess D||Toru Kono||TV Asahi|||
|2007||Shinigami no Ballad||Kantarō Ichihara||TV Tokyo||Guest Star, Episodes 7 & 8|||
|Kamen Rider Den-O||Ryotaro Nogami||TV Asahi||Lead|||
|Bloody Monday||Otoya Kujo||TBS|||
|2009||Mei-chan no Shitsuji||Kento Shibata||Fuji TV||Butler's Apperantice, Younger brother|||
|Mr. Brain||Masaru Nakagawa||TBS||Guest Star, Episodes 4 & 5|||
|MW Chapter 0: Akuma no Game||Takashi Morioka||NTV||Lead|||
|Honto ni Atta Kowai Hanashi||Fujisawa Shotaro||Fuji TV||Guest Star, Episode 5: Kao no Michi|||
|2010||Ryōmaden||Okada Izō||NHK||Taiga drama|||
|Bloody Monday 2||Otoya Kujo||TBS|||
|2011||Fuyu no Sakura||Hajime Inaba||TBS|||
|Saigo no Kizuna: Okinawa Hikisakareta Kyodai||Agarie Yasuharu||Fuji TV||Lead|||
|2013||The Liar and his Lover: Side Story||Aki Ogasawara||Fuji TV|||
|2014||Bitter Blood||Natsuki Sahara||Fuji TV||Lead|||
|2015||The Emperor's Cook||Tokuzo Akiyama||TBS||Lead|||
|2018||Hanbun, Aoi||Ritsu Hagio||NHK||Asadora|||
|Blues of Stepmother and Daughter||Akira Mugita||TBS|||
- Bahashishi, Oasis (オアシス, 2007)
- Bahashishi, Yakusoku (約束, 2007)
- Bahashishi, Kiseki (キセキ, 2008)
- Mayday, Do You Ever Shine (2014)
- "Pre-go: Zero" (2007)
- "Double-Action" (2007)
- "Perfect-Action: Double-Action Complete Collection" (2007)
- "Real-Action" (2007)
- "Double-Action Wing form" (2008)
- "My Color" (2008)
- "HT" (HT 〜N.Y.の中心で、鍋をつつく〜) (2010)
- "HT2" (赤道の真下で、鍋をつつく～) (2011)
- Pre-go: Zero (2007)
- Intently First Photobook (2008)
- 400 Days Photo Album/Diary (2008)
- Takeru Magazine/Takeru Magazine Plus (2008–)
- Deep Breathing/「深呼吸。」 Second Photobook (2009)
- So Far So Good! Takeru Satoh Profile 2007–2010 (2010)
- Nouvelles (2011)
- Rocka Nibunnoichi 1/2 Vol. 1, 2, and 3 (2013)
- Rurouni Kenshin (2014)
- Alternative (2014)
|2009||60th Television Drama Academy Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Mei-chan no Shitsuji||Won|
|2010||20th Japan Movie Critics Award||Best Male Newcomer||Beck||Won|||
|2011||35th Elan d'or Awards||Rookie of the Year||Himself||Won|
|2012||Japan Action Awards 2012||Best Action Actor||Rurouni Kenshin||Won|||
|2013||76th Television Drama Academy Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Tonbi||Nominated|||
|2014||Hochi Film Award 2014||Best Actor||The Liar and His Lover||Nominated|||
|RK: Kyoto Inferno & The Legend Ends||Nominated|
|2015||Japan Action Awards 2015||Best Action Scene||Won|||
|Best Action Actor||Won|
|9th Asian Film Awards||Best Actor||Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends||Nominated|||
|85th Television Drama Academy Awards||Best Actor||The Emperor's Cook||Won|||
|8th International Drama Festival in Tokyo||Best Actor||Won|||
|2016||24th Hashida Award||Best Actor||Won|||
|Broadcasting Culture Fund Award||Individual Acting Award||Won|||
|2018||41st Japan Academy Prize||Best Actor||The 8-Year Engagement||Nominated|
|98th Television Drama Academy Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Hanbun, Aoi||Won|||
- "Profile" (in Japanese). Takeru Satoh official website. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- 裸にしたい男「佐藤健」 (Television production). [NHK]. 2012.
- 「最弱ライダー」佐藤健、肺気胸で療養 (in Japanese).
- "Takeru Satoh celebrates his 20th birthday with fans". 2009-03-21. Archived from the original on 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- 【佐藤健】平成生まれも態度で示す"昭和の男" 美学は「自己アピールしない」. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Corporate History". Amuse Inc. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- 佐藤健、「仮面ライダー電王」人気の秘密は... (in Japanese). Sankei Digital Inc. Archived from the original on 2008-09-29. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- Takeru considers his role in Rookies his breakout role during chat with an MC in the Takeru Festival 2009 Archived 30 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine. (2009-03-21). Retrieved on 2009-04-27.
- "Bloody Monday". TBS. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Takeru Sato on the upcoming Beck live-action film" (in Japanese). The Hochi Shimbun. Archived from the original on 2009-06-05. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- ""Rurouni Kenshin" to get film adaptation starring Satoh Takeru!". Tokyohive.com. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- "Kenshin sequel heats up Japan box office". Film Business Asia. Archived from the original on 21 January 2015. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- ""Bitter Blood" between father-son detectives; a Tokyo take on "The Long Goodbye"; CM of the week: JT". The Japan Times. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Japanese Box Office: 'Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends' Rules". Variety. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "ANIME NEWS: Two-part sequel to live-action 'Rurouni Kenshin' gets premiere dates". Asahi Shimbun. Archived from the original on 27 December 2014. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Rurouni Kenshin Manga Gets Live-Action Film in 2012 (Updated)". Anime News Network. June 27, 2011. Archived from the original on November 14, 2016. Retrieved April 21, 2017.
- "See the 'Kenshin'-themed jeepney, plus Takeru Satoh's 'Oro' moment". Rappler. 7 August 2014. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- 『天皇の料理番』が4冠獲得 「東京ドラマアウォード2015」 ["The Emperor's Cook" gains 4 wins at Tokyo Drama Awards 2015]. ORICON STYLE (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- 佐藤健、『天皇の料理番』で放送文化基金賞受賞 [Takeru Satoh receives the Hoso Bunka Fund Award for 'The Emperor's Cook']. ORICON STYLE (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Bakuman". Toho. Toho. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Filmart 2015: Hot titles - Japan". Screen International. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- 佐藤健. eiga.com. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- Rurouni Kenshin live-action films official website.
- Ayase Haruka and Sato Takeru's new movie "Real" poster + snippets Archived 7 February 2013 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved 2013-01-31.
- "The Liar and His Lover". IMDb. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin Sequels' Summer Compilation TV Spot Streamed. Anime News Network. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
- バクマン。. eiga.com. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- 世界から猫が消えたなら. eiga.com. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- 佐藤健、『何者』映画化で主演 有村架純、菅田将暉ら若手主役級そろう (in Japanese). Oricon. 2016-03-11. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "Ajin - Demi Human Manga Gets Live-Action Film With Rurouni Kenshin's Takeru Satoh". Anime News Network. 2016-11-03. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- 8年越しの花嫁 奇跡の実話. eiga.com. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- いぬやしき. eiga.com. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- ハード・コア. eiga.com. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- 億男. eiga.com. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- サムライマラソン. eiga.com. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- 佐藤健のプロフィール. allcinema. Retrieved November 26, 2018.
- "Masked Rider Den-O". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Rookies". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Bloody Monday". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Mei-chan no Shitsuji". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Mr Brain Episode 4". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "MW Chapter 0: Akuma no Game". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Bloody Monday". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- Takeru Sato to star in “Q10″ drama. tokyograph.com. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Fuyu no Sakura". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Saigo no Kizuna". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- Tonbi (Black Kite) takes Best Drama Series at the 2013 Asian Television Awards! www.tbs.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- 映画『カノ嘘』、フジでドラマ化 オムニバスでサイドストーリー放送. 12 November 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "Bitter Blood". Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- TBSテレビ60周年特別企画 日曜劇場『天皇の料理番』. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- 〈岐阜・故郷 編〉主な出演者 発表！. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- ドラマ「義母と娘のブルース」追加キャスト発表、麦田章役は佐藤健 (in Japanese). Natalie.mu. 2018-05-30. Retrieved 2018-06-07.
- "Sato Takeru and Ishihara Satomi talk "Romeo & Juliet"". Tokyohive. 2012-04-30. Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- 过去の受赏作品 日本映画批评家大赏 (in Japanese).
- 俳優部門は佐藤健らが受賞！ 第1回ジャパンアクションアワード授賞式が開催 (in Japanese). PIA Corporation. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- 第76回ザテレビジョンドラマアカデミー賞 助演男優賞 (in Japanese).
- AMUSE in the nomination of Hochi Film Award 2014.
- (in Japanese) 2015年アクション界のトップが決まる！
- Rurouni Kenshin, Parasyte, Tokyo Tribes Nominated for 9th Asian Film Awards. Anime News Network. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- 第85回ザテレビジョンドラマアカデミー賞主演男優賞 (in Japanese).
- 佐藤健、黒木華、鈴木亮平ら受賞「東京ドラマアウォード2015」 (in Japanese). modelpress. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- 吉田羊、熱愛報道後初公の場 関係者が制止で言及せず (in Japanese). Oricon. 2016-05-10. Retrieved 2016-09-16.
- 佐藤健「志の高い作品に声を掛けていただいた」 「天皇の料理番」で放送文化基金賞演技賞を受賞 (in Japanese).
- 第98回ザテレビジョンドラマアカデミー賞 助演男優賞 (in Japanese).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Takeru Satoh.|