This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Type of site
|Available in||English, Arabic|
|Owner||Delivery Hero AG|
|Founder(s)||Khaled Alotaibi and Abdulaziz Al Loughani|
|Services||Online food ordering, |
Talabat (Arabic: طلبات, Ṭalabāt) is an online food ordering company founded in Kuwait in 2004. As of April 2021, Talabat operates in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, and Iraq. A subsidiary of Delivery Hero since 2016, Talabat became the largest online food ordering company in the Middle East.
In 2004, Talabat General Trading and Contracting Company was founded by Abdulaziz Al Loughani  and Khaled Al Otaibi in Kuwait. The name "Talabat" derives from the Arabic language and it means "orders" or "requests".
As Talabat’s popularity grew locally, it won the "Best E-Business Award" repeatedly in 2008 and 2009 with special recognition from the Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah.
In 2010, the business was operating out of Kuwait and Saudi Arabia with an average of 1,250 daily transactions. Talabat then underwent key changes such as the re-branding from 6alabat.com to Talabat.com, a shift from a hybrid form of Arabic and English spelling to a pure English spelling.
In 2011, a revamp of the platform took place with a new website layout and improvement in user interface.
In 2013, it continued its expansion to Qatar.
In 2016, Rocket Internet's food delivery business, including Talabat, was taken over by online food marketplace Delivery Hero. In line with this acquisition, Abdulhamid Alomar took over as the CEO of the company.
In 2017, Talabat expanded its operations to Jordan.
Lawsuits were filed against the company after they were found violating fair competition rules in Kuwait. A settlement plea made by Talabat was also turned down. 
In August 2020, it has been confirmed the Egyptian food delivery service Otlob, which was in operation since 1999 and became a Delivery Hero subsidiary in 2016, is getting rebranded as Talabat. As of September 2020, Talabat operates in Egypt.
In October 2020, Talabat announced they will expand into Iraq in early 2021, initially operating in Erbil before gradually expanding into more cities in the rest of the country. Talabat Iraq's online operation is separate from other countries, however. For example, cash-on-delivery is currently the only accepted method of payment in Iraq.
In August 2021, Talabat was selected as the official food delivery provider for Expo 2020, and their pavilion would display technological innovations for food delivery, such the cloud kitchen concept, whilst representing multiple food brands. In September 2021, Talabat partnered with Terminus Group, who is also an official premier partner for Expo 2020, to launch ten autonomous, last mile food-delivery robots for Expo visitors. Expo 2020 itself launched on 1 October 2021 following a year-long delay due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- "The war story behind Rocket Internet's acquisition of Kuwait's Talabat". Wamda. Retrieved 2017-09-26.
- "How did Kuwait produce some of the Middle East's largest exits?". Wamda. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- "Rocket Internet acquires Kuwait's Talabat for $170M, largest MENA tech acquisition since Maktoob". Wamda. Retrieved 2020-07-25.
- "Rocket Internet's Food Group Eats Up Talabat For $170M And 24h In The Middle East". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2020-07-25.
- "Delivery Hero's Kuwait 2018 revenue surges twofold to $110 million, Saudi grows 87% to $103 million". MENAbytes. 2019-04-25. Retrieved 2020-07-25.
- "Delivery Hero's Talabat appoints former Grab executive Tomaso Rodriguez as CEO". MENAbytes. 2019-09-29. Retrieved 2020-07-25.
- "Settlement offer from Talabat and Carriage refused". Arab Times Online. 2019-11-16. Retrieved 2020-07-25.
- "Delivery Hero's Talabat absorbs Carriage's operations across the region". MENAbytes. 2020-01-22. Retrieved 2020-07-25.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Kuwaiti food delivery startup Carriage was acquired for ~$100 million by Delivery Hero". MENAbytes. 2017-09-27. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- Paracha, Zubair Naeem (2020-08-05). "Delivery Hero is rebranding Otlob to Talabat, plans to create 50,000 freelance rider jobs in Egypt". MENAbytes. Retrieved 2020-08-27.
- Mansoor, Zainab (2020-10-15). "Talabat to launch operations in Iraq". Gulf Business. Retrieved 2021-10-03.
- البيان, دبي-. "طلبات ينضم إلى متجر هواوي للتطبيقات في الإمارات - الاقتصادي - السوق المحلي - البيان". www.albayan.ae (in Arabic). Retrieved 2021-01-04.
- "Talabat selected as official food delivery provider for Expo 2020 Dubai". Arabian Business. 2021-08-16. Retrieved 2021-10-04.
- "Talabat Partners with Terminus Group to Launch Sustainable Last-Mile Delivery with Fully Autonomous Food Delivery Robots at Expo 2020 Dubai". Associated Press. 2021-09-29. Retrieved 2021-10-04.