Tale of the Mummy
|Tale of the Mummy|
US film poster
|Directed by||Russell Mulcahy|
|Produced by||Silvio Muraglia
|Written by||Keith Williams
|Starring||Jason Scott Lee
|Music by||Stefano Mainetti|
|Edited by||Armen Minasian|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Home Video
|August 3, 1999|
Tale of the Mummy (also known as Russel Mulcahy's Tale of the Mummy and Talos – the Mummy) is a 1998 British-American horror film, directed by Russell Mulcahy, starring Jason Scott Lee, Jack Davenport, Louise Lombard and Christopher Lee. The film received a theatrical wide release on February 13, 1999.
Half a century after her grandfather (Christopher Lee) was killed in an Egyptian excavation, archaeologist Sam Turkel (Louise Lombard) returns to the original site and discovers the hanging sarcophagus of Talos. Months later, a murder is committed at the museum hosting Talos' artifacts and Sam is called in to assist an American detective (Jason Scott Lee) working on the case.
- Enzo Junior as Prince Talos
- Jason Scott Lee as Riley
- Louise Lombard as Samantha Turkel
- Sean Pertwee as Bradley Cortese
- Lysette Anthony as Dr. Claire Mulrooney
- Michael Lerner as Professor Marcus
- Jack Davenport as Detective Bartone
- Honor Blackman as Captain Shea
- Christopher Lee as Sir Richard Turkel
- Shelley Duvall as Edith Butros
- Gerard Butler as Burke
- Jon Polito as Parsons
- Ronan Vibert as Young
- Bill Treacher as Stuart
- Elizabeth Power as Mary
- Roger Morrissey as The Mummy
Nicholas Sylvain of DVD Verdict derided the film, saying that while it had an interesting premise, some effects were "merely bad, while others border on the ludicrous," and that the story made no sense. Martin Liebman of Blu-ray.com gave it a 2.5/5 rating, conceding that the film is technically well-done, but calling the plotting unoriginal and characters bland. He recommended viewers only watch Christopher Lee's scenes. British Horror Films reviewer Chris Wood praised Tale of the Mummy as an hommage to Hammer Films horror movies of mid-20th century, with the token inclusion of Lee.
|This section requires expansion. (October 2014)|
- Sylvain, Nicholas (15 August 1999). "Russell Mulcahy's Tale Of The Mummy". DVD Verdict. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Liebman, Martin (6 April 2012). "Tale of the Mummy Blu-ray". Blu-Ray.com. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Wood, Chris (27 February 2010). "Talos The Mummy (1998)". British Horror Films. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Mulcahy, Russell (director) (20 March 2012). Russell Mulcahy's Tale of the Mummy (Blu-ray) (Motion picture). Echo Bridge Home Entertainment.
|This article about a 1990s horror film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|