Tales from Shakespeare
The book is designed to make the stories of Shakespeare's plays familiar to the young. However, as noted in the author's Preface, "[Shakespeare's] words are used whenever it seemed possible to bring them in; and in whatever has been added to give them the regular form of a connected story, diligent care has been taken to select such words as might least interrupt the effect of the beautiful English tongue in which he wrote: therefore, words introduced into our language since his time have been as far as possible avoided."
Mary Lamb was responsible for the comedies, while Charles wrote the tragedies; they wrote the preface between them.
The book contains the following tales:
- The Tempest (Mary Lamb)
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (Mary Lamb)
- The Winter's Tale (Mary Lamb)
- Much Ado About Nothing (Mary Lamb)
- As You Like It (Mary Lamb)
- Two Gentlemen of Verona (Mary Lamb)
- The Merchant of Venice (Mary Lamb)
- Cymbeline (Mary Lamb)
- King Lear (Charles Lamb)
- Macbeth (Charles Lamb)
- All's Well That Ends Well (Mary Lamb)
- The Taming of the Shrew (Mary Lamb)
- The Comedy of Errors (Mary Lamb)
- Measure for Measure (Mary Lamb)
- Twelfth Night (Mary Lamb)
- Timon of Athens (Charles Lamb)
- Romeo and Juliet (Charles Lamb)
- Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Charles Lamb)
- Othello (Charles Lamb)
- Pericles, Prince of Tyre (Mary Lamb)
Tales from Shakespeare has been republished many times. It was illustrated by Sir John Gilbert in 1866, by Arthur Rackham in 1899 and 1909, by Louis Monziès in 1908, by Walter Paget in 1910, and by D. C. Eyles in 1934.
In 1893-4, the book was supplemented with some additional tales by Harrison S Morris and was re-published in the USA as a multi-volume set with colour plate illustrations.
- Drabble, Margaret (1985). Oxford Companion to English Literature. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 545. ISBN 0 19 866130 4.
- Norman Wright and David Ashford, Masters of Fun and Thrills: The British Comic Artists Vol. 1, Norman Wright (pub.), 2008, p. 65
- Published by Boston : D. C. Heath & Co., 1908
- "Full Citation". University of Florida Digital Collections. University of Florida. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- Lamb, Charles; Lamb, Mary; Morris, Harrison S (1893). Tales from Shakespeare including those by Charles and Mary Lamb with a continuation by Harrison S. Morris. J.B. Lippincott Company (Philadelphia).
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Full text and images on the University of Florida's Digital Collections
- Text at shakespeare.palomar.edu
- LibriVox free downloadable recordings read by Karen Savage
- Tales from Shakespeare ebook from Project Gutenberg
- Tales from Shakespeare written by Morris, Harrison S. (Harrison Smith), 1856-1948.