Talk:16 Air Assault Brigade
An info box for the Brigade is probably necessary.
184.108.40.206 19:08, 28 August 2006 (UTC)
The article states that the unit is properly called the 16 Air Assault Brigade, not "16th". Perhaps it would be good to move the article to the correct name? 220.127.116.11 (talk) 23:27, 12 September 2008 (UTC)
Can there be a least some effort made to add valid content to the PF section. If people persist in 'merging' and thereby delete good quality pages, make sure the good content is added to the new page Archangel1 (talk) 22:39, 17 June 2010 (UTC)
Actually, I think a discussion might be in order. The Pathfinder Platoon article that Archangel1 is commenting on recently went through AfD and the end result was to merge the content with this article as the parent unit. The overwhelming opinion was that platoon sized elements are not notable on their own. There was significant content in the article, so that wasn't an issue. Unfortunately Archangel1 was not able to present his view in the AfD debate and I don't think that deletion review would reverse the concenus. If it were decided here that the platoon is notable enough on thier own, that would give a reason to essentially recreate the article. Though it would likely face the AfD process again. Movementarian (Talk) 14:47, 19 June 2010 (UTC)
- Pathfinder_(military)#United_Kingdom_2 has a huge section on the Pathfinder Platoon and its operations. It would do a lot better as part of this article. GraemeLeggett (talk) 19:10, 17 June 2011 (UTC)
- That section is a straight cut and paste from the article that went through the deletion process. Something along the lines of the 30Cdo article mighht make sense though, look at the HQ component as a whole rather than a single sub-unit.
- ALR (talk) 09:13, 19 June 2011 (UTC)
- Having read the AfD it seems it didn't go where concensus suggested then. How do people feel about removal from Pathfinders and putting a more trimmed version in this article?GraemeLeggett (talk) 09:23, 19 June 2011 (UTC)
- I'm honestly surprised that the Pathfinders don't have their own article anymore. Although they are an element within an element, they are an independent unit with a separate selection process and a fair amount of history. Regardless, I'm planning on expanding that section based off of information provided in the book "Pathfinder: A Special Forces Mission Behind Enemy Lines" written by the 2IC of the Pathfinders during the invasion of Iraq in 2003. If anyone has any problems with this, let me know.ForwardObserver85 (talk) 19:56, 28 April 2014 (UTC)
During several automated bot runs the following external link was found to be unavailable. Please check if the link is in fact down and fix or remove it in that case!
- Linked fixed; changed to British Army official site.Other dictionaries are better (talk) 19:38, 1 June 2011 (UTC)
16th Bridgage to be reduced
- No it says "It is likely that the majority of Parachute Regiment soldiers will remain fully trained to parachute, but this requirement for 16 Air Assault Brigade as a whole will be reduced." Its talking about the parachute qualified members of the brigade being reduced, most likely in the support arms. Jim Sweeney (talk) 15:58, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Seems like a reduction to me.Phd8511 (talk) 22:38, 1 October 2011 (UTC)
- The section in question is speculative, so not usable. It doesn't refer to a reduction in the Bde, but in the requirement for jump trained personnel. fwiw many of the junp trained roles don't need to be.
- ALR (talk) 22:55, 1 October 2011 (UTC)
- It is being reduced unless you all read wrongly.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10854475/Airborne-elite-force-to-lose-a-third-of-its-troops.htmlPhd8511 (talk) 08:15, 6 July 2014 (UTC)
I have reverted attempts to categorise the Bde and an Inf Bde. In is not such - the makeup is radically different from an Inf Bde not least due to the inclusion of four Avn Regts (1, 3, 4 and 9 Regiment Army Air Corps) the same number of units as Inf Bns. Blackshod (talk) 19:41, 30 October 2011 (UTC)
- It no longer has the Army Air Corps regiments attached see the MOD web page for the orbat  but does have five infantry battalions. Even out of Afghanistan it has 5/4 infantry battalions to AAC regiments. Jim Sweeney (talk) 20:56, 30 October 2011 (UTC)
Constituent units: Current formation, needs to be updated
2nd Battalion, Royal Gurkha Rifles has been assigned to 16 Air Assault Brigade http://www.folkestoneherald.co.uk/Folkestone-Gurkhas-join-16-Air-Assault-Brigade/story-26635944-detail/story.html http://forces.tv/42840759 http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-33005635 — Preceding unsigned comment added by FormerDirtDart (talk • contribs) 05:27, 5 June 2015 (UTC)
There are supposedly 2 paratroop battalions and two light infantry (air assault). The paratroop are the 2nd and 3rd Battalions Parachute Regiment. However according to the article the air assault battalions are "2nd Battalion, The Royal Gurkha Rifles" and "2nd Battalion, Royal Gurkha Rifles". That must be an error, and duplication. That also leaves "4th Battalion, Parachute Regiment (Army Reserve)". Is this the second air assault battalion, or a third paratroop battalion? If the latter, what is the second air assault battalion?Royalcourtier (talk) 05:11, 6 January 2016 (UTC)