Talk:1990 Andhra Pradesh cyclone
|1990 Andhra Pradesh cyclone has been listed as one of the Natural sciences good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.|
|WikiProject Tropical cyclones / Storms||(Rated GA-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject India||(Rated GA-class, High-importance)|
- This review is transcluded from Talk:1990 Andhra Pradesh cyclone/GA1. The edit link for this section can be used to add comments to the review.
- and started to rapidly intensify - poor grammar, you should avoid the split infinitive. Either do "started rapidly intensifying" or "started to intensify rapidly".
- Please make sure units are consistent, as in proper parenthesis for converted units. Similarly, make sure there is proper comma usage for numbers in the thousands or greater.
- Im fairly sure thats not the case as ive also been taught to put a space in but ive added them.Jason Rees (talk) 20:31, 7 April 2010 (UTC)
- Yea, it should be "100,000 animals", not "100000" animals. Check WP:MOSNUM - Numbers with five or more digits to the left of the decimal point (i.e., 10,000 or more) should be delimited into groups so they can be easily parsed... Numbers with four digits to the left of the decimal point may or may not be delimited. As the numbers in the article have six digits, they need the comma. ♬♩ Hurricanehink (talk) 20:34, 7 April 2010 (UTC)
- The second sentence of the MH is really long, please fix it.
- Likewise, the 2nd sentence of the 2nd paragraph of the MH is also really long. Try and find a better flow of wording/sentences. Also, the 3rd is just as bad. "However the turn turned out to be more to the north than anticipated" - this is awkward, the "turn turned", "turned out" itself is vernacular, and you could explain more clearly how its turn to the north allowed more strengthening. This is a problem throughout the article, having confusing sentence structure or just overall too long-winding sentences.
- "warnings were provided throughout the cyclonic storm" - warnings occurred inside the storm? Clarify the wording
- The 2nd sentence of the impact is long and could be a lot clearer.
- Overall, use active voice more. "The review is made by me" is longer and more complicated than "I made the review". I suggest you remove every instance of passive voice in the article.
- "7000 people were left stranded on Edurumandi Island after they refused to be evacuated. Edurumandi Island" - can you find a way not to list the island name twice? Also, you shouldn't start a paragraph, or even a sentence for that matter, with a number.
- I won't go on more about the writing. Overall, the content is pretty good. You should check if there was impact in Sri Lanka. The biggest problem, by far, is the writing, as most of the article could use a copyedit. So many of the sentences just go on and on which makes me confusing when I read the article which I was in the process of reviewing and I am putting on hold. I suggest you use an outside copyeditor, in case you don't see where it needs work. I'm leaning toward failing it, but I'll leave it on hold for seven days. ♬♩ Hurricanehink (talk) 04:11, 7 April 2010 (UTC)
- I copyedited the article from top to bottom. It's not perfect, but better. –Juliancolton | Talk 13:00, 9 April 2010 (UTC)
During several automated bot runs the following external link was found to be unavailable. Please check if the link is in fact down and fix or remove it in that case!
- In 1990 Andhra Pradesh cyclone on 2011-05-25 05:50:35, Socket Error: 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'
- In 1990 Andhra Pradesh cyclone on 2011-06-07 23:40:22, Socket Error: 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'
I'm researching another Andhra Pradesh storm, and it looks like this article is woefully inadequate. What worked in 2010 doesn't work for 2015. There aren't government documents, IMD material, or Lexis Nexis. I propose downgrading it from GA status. ♫ Hurricanehink (talk) 05:09, 13 November 2015 (UTC)
- There is IMD Material and Government documents included in the article.Jason Rees (talk) 13:32, 13 November 2015 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 4 external links on 1990 Andhra Pradesh cyclone. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.rsmcnewdelhi.imd.gov.in/images/pdf/archive/rsmc/1990.pdf
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/atcr/1990atcr.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130927080227/http://www.imd.gov.in/section/nhac/dynamic/bestpara.xls to http://www.imd.gov.in/section/nhac/dynamic/bestpara.xls
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20050320025144/http://www.imd.ernet.in/main_new.htm to http://www.imd.ernet.in/main_new.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.