Talk:2005 Nias Island Sea King crash
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Awards for Shark 02 crew
Peter, you've steered a nimble course through the awards topic - without getting too detailed, you've pretty much nailed it! While more detail isn't necessary in the article, it's worth pointing out a few things:
- the Indonesian award was an award for valor - the Australian honours system doesn't make awards for dying, so there never was an equivalent award that the Australian system could make.
- the problem of awarding the Humanitarian Overseas Service Medal for tsuanmi-relief was much broader than Shark 02 - no part of the tsunami relief operation, military or civilian, would have met the criteria under the existing regulations for the award! The Shark 02 accident provided the political impetus to act on this broader issue, with the result that the Shark 02 crew, and all other members of ADF (and 21 other eligible organisations) who met the service criteria could be recognised for their serivce. Note that the Shark 02 crew were recognised by Indonesia for "valour", but by Australia for their "operational service". They were not recognised by Australia for dying on duty.
Guran70 05:59, 13 April 2007 (UTC)
Article needs renaming
Shark 02 → Nias Island Sea King accident — I'm not sure that the callsign of a helicopter is the appropriate title for an article on the helicopter's crash and the aftermath. I think the article title should reflect the main subject of the article, which is the crash on Nias Island, and not the operating history of the helicopter. I'm suggesting that the article be renamed Nias Island Sea King accident, taking the name of the incident as given in the RAN Board of Inquiry report. However, I'm open to suggestions as to the name. -- saberwyn 06:54, 1 June 2009 (UTC)
- Looking at other articles in the associated categories, I'd suggest 2005 Nias Island WS-61 Sea King crash. See 2009 Quito B200 King Air crash, 2008 Spain Pilatus PC-6 crash, etc. Dekimasuよ! 00:37, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
During several automated bot runs the following external link was found to be unavailable. Please check if the link is in fact down and fix or remove it in that case!
The title of the article is crash
Where is the content detailing the crash and its causes and aftermath.e Especially as one sentence reveals that the report has been made public and there is no content!! 80% or more of this article is about peripheral issues.Petebutt (talk) 22:14, 23 June 2012 (UTC)
Ok, 3.5 years later and this has not been addressed. We have memorials and awards and an admiral who knows his integrity is on line, and we have a maintenance program that got something wrong, and a failed bellcrank. Is anyone gonna take this on? Dcs002 (talk) 06:09, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
- DIY always works best if you have an interest in the topic. Nick-D (talk) 09:16, 16 January 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on 2005 Nias Island Sea King crash. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080720204631/http://www.gg.gov.au/res/File/PDFs/honours/br68/Media%20Notes%20-%20Star%20of%20Courage.pdf to http://www.gg.gov.au/res/File/PDFs/honours/br68/Media%20Notes%20-%20Star%20of%20Courage.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090515035619/http://www.gg.gov.au/res/Media%20Notes%20-%20Bravery%20Medal.pdf to http://www.gg.gov.au/res/Media%20Notes%20-%20Bravery%20Medal.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.