Talk:2009–10 Big Ten Conference men's basketball season
|2009–10 Big Ten Conference men's basketball season has been listed as one of the Sports and recreation good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.|
|Current status: Good article|
|WikiProject College Basketball||(Rated GA-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Basketball||(Rated GA-class)|
- This review is transcluded from Talk:2009–10 Big Ten Conference men's basketball season/GA2. The edit link for this section can be used to add comments to the review.
Reviewer: –MuZemike 21:28, 15 December 2010 (UTC)
- Lead issues
For the most part, the lead is pretty good, but the referencing is inconsistent. That is, you have some parts cited and others not cited. Either ref everything in there or make sure everything in the lead is in the article's body (and cited) and remove the citations. The first sentence is a little too much editorializing. Here are a couple of suggestions: Get rid of a few words there and say something like The 2009–10 Big Ten Conference men's basketball season marked the continuation of competitive basketball among Big Ten Conference members that began in 1904. (since basketball is normally an annual tradition of nearly every single college basketball team in the U.S.)
The 2009–10 Big Ten Conference men's basketball season marked the 105th season of competitive basketball in the Big Ten Conference. (Sounds more concise and "hooky" enough without the editorialization; hopefully I have the number "105th" right)
- Prose issues
"Watch list" or "watchlist"? You include both in there; please stick to one consistent spelling. Same with "Top-30" vs "Top 30". In the "USBWA" subsection, it seems like you can just get rid of the "District II" and "District VI" empty lists and just make a note in the prose that all the Big Ten players selected were from District V. Make sure print sources including in the citations (such as Sporting News) are italicized; not all of them are after doing a quick spot-check. (I may be being overly nitpicky here) On the citations that are from the Big Ten Conference (published by CBS Interactive) I would think one should include
|work=''[[Big Ten Conference]]''(italic symbols to undo the automatic italicization). However, it's no big deal if you choose not to add that in there, but I would think it would be more informative to readers that all of those sources are coming from the Big Ten.
Very last sentence in the article ("2010 NBA Draft") is a sentence fragment.
- Verifiability issues
 - please address everything there that is in blue or red as they are dead links. The AP Big Ten post-season rankings source (Ref #10, ) is no longer there.
- Fixed.--TonyTheTiger (T/C/BIO/WP:CHICAGO/WP:FOUR) 01:45, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
There is nothing sourcing anything for the ACC – Big Ten Challenge. The description of the CoSIDA requirements is not in the citation given (, which just describes the recipients of the award)
- Other suggestions
(Note: not really part of the GA review but more of an aside)
- I suggest merging 2010 Big Ten Conference Men's Basketball Tournament into this article, as I think you can clearly include it without causing many issues at all regarding article size or undue weight.
- The MoS guidelines for non-breaking spaces normally require the addition of non-breaking spaces between date numbers and month names (i.e. October 29) and for things with Roman numerals (i.e. "NCAA Division I").
- There is no need to list the same citation twice in a row (like near the end of "Regular season - November"). Just list the citation once at the end of what is being cited.
- I suggest using WebCite for many of these links as I have feeling many of them will expire in a short period of time (a few already have, which I mentioned above)
On hold pending improvments to the issues brought up above. –MuZemike 21:28, 15 December 2010 (UTC)
- Passed Nice job. –MuZemike 19:54, 17 December 2010 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on 2009–10 Big Ten Conference men's basketball season. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20091017222321/http://msn.foxsports.com:80/cbk/story/10213242/Final-preseason-top-25-for-2009-10 to http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10213242/Final-preseason-top-25-for-2009-10
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20091111053620/http://www.naismithawards.com/PressBox/PressReleases/10292009PreseasonWatchlist/tabid/164/Default.aspx to http://www.naismithawards.com/PressBox/PressReleases/10292009PreseasonWatchlist/tabid/164/Default.aspx
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball/men/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.