Talk:2013 Shahbag protests
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons (BLP) policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are a subject of this article, or acting on behalf of one, and you need help, please see this help page.|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the 2013 Shahbag protests article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Archives: 1, 2|
|WikiProject Bangladesh||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
|This talk page is automatically archived by MiszaBot I. Any threads with no replies in 3 months may be automatically moved. Sections without timestamps are not archived.|
|Text and/or other creative content from this version of 2013 Shahbag protests was copied or moved into 2013 Bangladesh protests with this edit on 5 March 2013. The former page's history now serves to provide attribution for that content in the latter page, and it must not be deleted so long as the latter page exists.|
|A news item involving 2013 Shahbag protests was featured on Wikipedia's main page in the In the news section on 4 March 2013.|
Persistent POV bias in this article
This article has a long way to go to get out of its POV hole and needs drastic editing. Some editors have used sly tricks like saying that a vote was unanimous but failing to mention that all other parties had boycotted the vote. Some facts make it in and the facts that don't present the "party line" in the just the right way are not present. Some article editors do not identify the subject, use passive voice, or use general subject to make it seem as if the entire society supports the Shahbag protests. Several sections are questionable. I've deleted the media section, per my notes above, where it merely presents a list of newspaper covering it or where the protests have been mentioned; the entire section was not encyclopedic as written. Furthermore, other sections should go in the dustbin. The context sections pad the article and are both off topic of protests, and they both point to other articles, which means the sections are merely duplicating other articles. The gallery section needs to go unless it can balanced. What should happen? The article should be redeveloped focusing on both the protesters who support the death penalty and the counter protests. The lead should be an umbrella lead. Crtew (talk) 21:02, 24 June 2013 (UTC)
Proposed edit to discuss
PER WP:BOLD this diff  makes a good faith effort to eliminate as much of the bias as possible, although more is needed. Please discuss this in a civil manner. I will revert all my edits until the discussion is completed. Crtew (talk) 21:28, 24 June 2013 (UTC)
- Well obviously I support your edit, I have no idea why you self reverted or reverted me? I think some of the images should remain, but the rest of the edits were solid. Darkness Shines (talk) 21:45, 24 June 2013 (UTC)
- Historical context up through to verdicts (text to begin at "On 5 February 2013 ..."
- Media coverage
- Passive voice that does not identify a precise agent
- Buried facts that add some balance
major overhaul needed in terms of weasel words and peacock terms. POV terms such as "freedom fighters" "Fundamentalists" and "terrorists" are in haphazard wide use. Requesting admins to resolve the issue.18.104.22.168 (talk) 05:56, 12 January 2017 (UTC)
I propose to rename the article from 2013 Shahbag protests to 2013 Bangladesh protests. The content will cover both protests beginning on 5 Feb and the counter protests, including hartals. Crtew (talk) 06:14, 25 June 2013 (UTC)
- There is already an article about the rioting that followed, are you suggesting a merger? 09:56, 25 June 2013 (UTC)
- I disagree with the renaming - the protests are well known under the name of Shahbag, and are easily differentiated from other protests this year by their purpose, timing and their connection to Shahbag square. Applesandapples (talk) 18:12, 14 July 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 5 external links on 2013 Shahbag protests. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131013064257/http://www.banglanews24.com/English/detailsnews.php?nssl=a41e67d5eda4148f550121b1a7d76792&nttl=1602201364215 to http://www.banglanews24.com/English/detailsnews.php?nssl=a41e67d5eda4148f550121b1a7d76792&nttl=1602201364215
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130212091522/http://news.priyo.com/2013/shahbag-square.html to http://news.priyo.com/2013/shahbag-square.html
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/latest_news.php?nid=44661
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.banglanews24.com/English/detailsnews.php?nssl=1d5a8f3fc1cd6456ce1ff397a430363f&nttl=120220136
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.banglanews24.com/English/detailsnews.php?nssl=b4d6cca6f8d9376fd31be2a6c28f308b&nttl=1102201363959
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.