Talk:79th Academy Awards
|79th Academy Awards is a featured list, which means it has been identified as one of the best lists produced by the Wikipedia community. If you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the 79th Academy Awards article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|This is not a forum for general discussion about winners and nominations of the 79th Academy Awards. Any such comments may be removed or refactored. Please limit discussion to improvement of this article. You may wish to ask factual questions about winners and nominations of the 79th Academy Awards at the Reference desk, discuss relevant Wikipedia policy at the Village pump, or ask for help at the Help desk.|
- 1 did anyone notice the awkward moment between Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire
- 2 What network is carrying it?
- 3 When is it?
- 4 The Departed/Infernal Affairs mis-attribution
- 5 Best foreign language film
- 6 Protection from vandalism
- 7 GAH.
- 8 Presenters for Best Director
- 9 Barbara Streisand
- 10 Movies
- 11 Trivia
- 12 Presenters questions
- 13 Mistakes
- 14 Al Gore
- 15 Wrong presenters listed
- 16 Listing of all categories and winners
- 17 Trivia/Wikitables
- 18 Presenters
- 19 Academy Awards articles
- 20 External Linking Unfair
- 21 Memorial Tribute
- 22 Dead link
- 23 Errol Morris vignette
- 24 Move discussion in progress
- 25 External links modified
did anyone notice the awkward moment between Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBkujAxCMs0 she bumped him and he looked like he was about to slap her
What network is carrying it?
- Yes, it's ABC (as noted in the article intro); on the other hand, it's only on ABC in the U.S., so some editors might argue that we should list all the broadcasters to avoid charges of U.S.-centrism. (Although the TV director and pre-show hosts iare listed, and those likely vary by country.) MisfitToys 20:52, 24 February 2007 (UTC)
When is it?
When do the proceedings begin (PST)? -kslays 22:58, 25 February 2007 (UTC)
The Departed/Infernal Affairs mis-attribution
Best foreign language film
The German flag sits there messily for me. Is it a Wikipedia policy to jam country flags in wherever country names are mentioned? Fine on pages where the main content is a list of countries, such as Olympic medal tallies, but I don't see the point on a page that's mostly about people and films, and just one entry happens to be a country name. Kvader 04:25, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- It follows the same format for the other Oscar pages. -- Scorpion 04:26, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Doesnt mean it looks good! Kvader 05:14, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
There might be another mistake. After the announcement for best foreign language film by the presenter the announcer claimed, it is the second win for Germany in this category after "The Tin Drum". Actually it is the second win after "Nowhere in Africa" in 2002, because "The Tin Drum" is officially credited to the Federal Republic of Germany (prior to the reunification). Can someone double check the annoncement error? -- User:Delvey 05:49, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- The united Germany is also called Federal Republic of Germany officially. --Kvasir 02:16, 27 February 2007 (UTC)
- Thats right, but I don't see how that's contradictory to my statement. Or do I have to explain it in more detail? Delvey 17:44, 27 February 2007 (UTC)
Protection from vandalism
Can we semi-protect this page? Will 04:46, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Somebody please protect, the amount of vandalism is ridiculous. User: Hdt83 | Talk/Chat 04:55, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Some form of protection is needed. More than half of the edits are vandalism. --Mason 05:05, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
The Directing section tables looks messed up. Can somebody fix it? I keep getting an edit conflict from all these vandals.Never mind... User: Hdt83 | Talk/Chat 05:12, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
The page was fine until someone decided to add random comments on the page--Caty8697
The page has been semiprotected due to severe vandalism from anon IPs. -Loren 05:21, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
I hate edit conflicts. There should be a checkbox to shove through edit conflicts, I was trying to fix a serious formatting bug and went through about five before giving up [yes, someone else has fixed it, but that's not the point] --Random832 05:16, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
Presenters for Best Director
Didn't Steven Spielberg, Francis Copola, and another director present the Best Director Award? Their names aren't on the presenter list Small5th 05:41, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Yes, George Lucas was with them. -- Delvey 06:07, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- It might be more interesting to present the presenters along with the awards they gave out, and optionally a funny line (if it's funny). Like that moment with Queen Latifah and John Travolta. Wahkeenah 06:18, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
The statistic that Jennifer Hudson is the only person to win for the one and only movie in which she has appeared is false. Barbara Streisand also won for her debut in Funny Girl. 18.104.22.168 06:53, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
What is the name of the dance group that were doing the shadow images for each of the best picture nominees?
- They're called Pilobolus, apparently named after a fungus. When Ellen said they were naked  apparently she wasn't kidding. Wahkeenah 12:56, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
After perusing through the list of past original song winners, I believe this was the first year that an original song from a documentary was given the award, perhaps even nominated. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Fashnable1 (talk • contribs) 09:37, 26 February 2007 (UTC). Fashnable1 09:37, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- It's probably also the first time that a female best-song recipient referred onstage to another woman as "my wife". You can figure that Rush Limbaugh will have a hissy fit over the entire thing. Wahkeenah 12:44, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- While it wasn't nominted for documentary, in 1963 the song More from the documentary Mondo Cane was nominated but lost for Music (Song). Chris 19:41, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
Could somebody please tell me who presented the awards for the following categories?
- Best Editing
- Best Cinematography
- Best Foreign Film
- Best Sound MIXING
Also, what did Gwyneth Paltrow present exactly? I need this as soon as possible. Thanks. --22.214.171.124 11:01, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Also, did Meryl Streep present? I see announcements listing her as a presenter but I don't remember her presenting. --126.96.36.199 11:11, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Anybody? --188.8.131.52 11:57, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Why don't you do a Google search? You will find the answer to your question. Real96 12:25, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- I'm not finding it. Maybe I'll have to watch the show again and fill in that info. Provided some wiki-pedant doesn't decide that that constitutes "original research". Wahkeenah 13:04, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
*Well, she presented a more womanly figure than in the past. She's finally shedding that anorexic look. However, she has a long ways to go before reaching the level of Jennifer Hudson and Queen Latifah's scrumptiousness, a point on which John Travolta commented. Wahkeenah 12:47, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Please look at the template above on the page. Thanks. Real96 12:48, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- I have done numerous searches on Google and looked at various pages covering the event. None of them were any help, so I came here. I'm sure they will be easier to find in the coming days, but I was hoping to have the info a few hours ago when I posted a report on the event. Oh, well. If anyone can still help with this, I can still edit/update the report (better late than never), so any help would be be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. --184.108.40.206 16:06, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Oooh, I see the presenters section has been updated. I shall have a look and add those categories that are missing. --220.127.116.11 16:08, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Wow... the presenters section is coming along great. One thing though (well, actually three): Did nobody co-present Best Editing with Kate Winslet? Also, I read on various sites that Meryl Streep presented something – did she or didn't she? Also, did [[Gwyneth Paltrow really present the award for cinematography? And who presented with her? --From Andoria with Love 16:59, 27 February 2007 (UTC)
The last Mistake listed is "Jack Black referred to Peter O'Toole as 'English'." That may not have been a mistake since Peter O'Toole famously played the character of Lawrence of Arabia, who was nicknamed "English" by several characters in that movie. Can anyone confirm what was actually said by Jack Black and how he said it? Sgettle (talk) 21:34, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
A mistake was made early in on the show
- A slight mistake of our own. TerriG 18.104.22.168 15:24, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
Jaden Smith didn't make the mistake, but Abigail Breslin did. Smith commented "I don't think that's the line"
I changed the bit about Peter O'Toole speaking with an English accent rather than a British accent. I felt that British is to vague.
What was up with Al Gore, wasn't his speach cut. Could someone add that into the mistake article. Or anywhere els. --22.214.171.124 15:37, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- That was intentional. H2P (Yell at me for what I've done) 15:55, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- ie it was open gag, Gore was in on. Quadzilla99 20:06, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
Wrong presenters listed
In the article it says that Kirsten Dunst and Toby Macguire presented the best adapted screenplay, but it was they in fact who presented best *original* Screenplay. All that needs to be done is switch the presentations beside Tom Hanks and the actress with whom he presented best adapted screenplay with those of Kirsten and Toby. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 17:20, 26 February 2007 (UTC).
- Oh, sorry about that. I thought for sure it was the other way around but maybe that's because I thought the two stars of a series of films adapted from a comic book (namely, Spider-Man) would present the adapted screenplay award. I'll switch 'em; thanks for correcting me. :) --From Andoria with Love 16:51, 27 February 2007 (UTC)
Listing of all categories and winners
I can't beleive this article lists in GREAT detail all the presenters of the awards, but doesn't even bother to list all the awards and their nominees. What a slanted, non-encyclopaedic article with a bizarre set of priorities. 188.8.131.52 18:23, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- We already have an article with all that information in place, linked directly from the top of this article. --Ngamer 04:53, 27 February 2007 (UTC)
The In Memoriam tribute was presented by Jodie Foster this year. The Academy took a moment to remember the artists gone in 2006: Glenn Ford, Bruno Kirby, Alida Valli, songwriter Betty Comden, Jane Wyatt, Don Knotts, Red Buttons, director Gillo Pontecorvo, Darren McGavin, director Richard Fleischer, cinematographer Sven Nykvist, producer/cartoonist Joseph Barbera, Tamara Dobson, set designer Gretchen Rau, June Allyson, director Gordon Parks, Phillippe Noiret, Maureen Stapleton, Jack Wild, director Vincent Sherman, James Doohan, director Shohei Imamura, producer Carlo Ponti, Peter Boyle, cinematogapher James Glennon, screenwriter Sidney Sheldon, Jack Palance, Mako, Jack Warden, composer Basil Poledouris, art director Henry Bumstead, screenwriter Jay Presson Allen and director Robert Altman.
What's the point in making it a separate article though? Most years have a list of all the winners. It's not like there are 100+ categories like the grammys. 184.108.40.206 (talk) 23:10, 23 February 2009 (UTC)
If this article is going to be a FA/GA anytime soon, there should not be a trivia section. Secondly, the tables shouldn't be changed to a wikitable, because they are based upon last year's format. For this, I have replaced the wikitable with the correct table. Thanks! Real96 19:58, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- I took the assumption that the events mentioned should be included into the article (barely notable in my opinion, feel free to comment) and incorporated them into a new section per WP:Trivia. Quadzilla99 20:14, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
- Being based on last years page is not a reason to use loads of inlined style instead of the default wikitable: two wrongs don't make a right. I have changed all the awards pages to wikitables now anyway. ed g2s • talk 20:12, 27 February 2007 (UTC)
I spun through my tape of the Oscars and made a few corrections, then decided to put them in order of appearance, also "left-to-right" on the stage. If anyone has a problem with this approach, speak up. :) Wahkeenah 05:11, 28 February 2007 (UTC)
- Seeing that you have the recording of the show, would you be able to find out who the presenter was introducing the best adapted screenplay norminees when he/she referred to the "Japanese" film Infernal Affairs that inspired The Departed, when in fact it's an HK film. It's either Helen Mirren or Tom Hanks, i think. See Mistake section 1 . Thanks --Kvasir 19:09, 28 February 2007 (UTC)
- I'll see what I can do. Wahkeenah 00:19, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
- OK, the comment was definitely "based on the Japanese film, Infernal Affairs." However, although the presenters were Mirren and Hanks, that mistake was actually spoken (or presumably read) by the female voice-over announcer, listed in the article as Gina Tuttle (also mentioned that way in various items searchable by Google, and that she is known for doing voice-over work). Wahkeenah 01:37, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
- OK again, one more look at the tape. I knew they had shown the voice-over actors early on, and they did: definitely Don LaFontaine and Gina Tuttle. He, of course, is the "Voice of God" for film trailers, or maybe I should say the voice of "In a world..." I wouldn't blame her for the error, though, I would blame whoever wrote the copy she was reading. Wahkeenah 02:06, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
- Great work! Thank! --Kvasir 06:40, 1 March 2007 (UTC)
Academy Awards articles
Somebody or several somebodies with a lot of free time needs to go through all the old articles and standardize their formats. 220.127.116.11 18:38, 7 March 2007 (UTC)
External Linking Unfair
I notice Wikipedia has a locked article and no way to update the external links. This is grossly unfair because one site, The Envelope, is able to be linked as an external source while another, oscarwatch.com, is not. This is wrong on so many levels but especially because it does what wikipedia should never do: play favorites. Please unlock the article so that other more well established, independent sites can also add information.
Would it be possible to add a list of which people were honored in the memorial tribute clip?
- It's already there, but it's kind of hidden in the presenters box. MisfitToys 21:02, 14 June 2007 (UTC)
During several automated bot runs the following external link was found to be unavailable. Please check if the link is in fact down and fix or remove it in that case!
Errol Morris vignette
Documentary filmmaker Errol Morris filmed another vignette featuring several Oscar nominees discussing what it means to be an Oscar nominee, when was this shown ?Xb2u7Zjzc32 (talk) 14:20, 27 March 2014 (UTC)
Move discussion in progress
There is a move discussion in progress on Talk:Academy Awards which affects this page. Please participate on that page and not in this talk page section. Thank you. —RMCD bot 13:14, 4 April 2015 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on 79th Academy Awards. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070226164059/http://www.oscars.org/79academyawards/presenters_performers.html to http://www.oscars.org/79academyawards/presenters_performers.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130515152338/http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Academy_Awards.pdf to http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Academy_Awards.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.