Talk:7th Division (Australia)
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the 7th Division (Australia) article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
There is something wrong here. The "Formation" section says, after the 18th Brigade was transferred to the 7th Division in June 1940, "This was short lived, however, for the following month the division lost the 18th Brigade and gained the 26th Brigade, which was still forming in Australia." But this, I think, is wrong. The 18th Brigade stayed with the 7th Division throughout the New Guinea and Borneo campaigns; that is, to the end of the war. And the 26th Brigade article says: "The 26th Brigade was raised in 1940 and formed part of the 9th Division throughout the war."
- G'day, I don't have the Johnston ref to check anymore (but @Anotherclown: might). Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure that the 26th was part of the 7th Division for a brief period of time, and I'm pretty sure that the 18th was briefly part of the 9th Division. The AIF brigades were moved around several times.  Regards, AustralianRupert (talk) 09:21, 25 February 2016 (UTC)
- From looking over my copy of Johnston The Silent 7th the article does seem to faithfully represent the stated source. As can be seen from the narrative the brigades changed several times, so in the case of the 18th it was transferred to the 7th Division in June 1940, then in July taken away again (and replaced by the 26th). However in Feb 1941 the 18th returned to the 7th Division and the 26th transferred to the 9th Division (this is on Johnston pp. 2–3). I hope this helps. Anotherclown (talk) 07:00, 26 February 2016 (UTC)
Yes, I see now that reading the whole thing it is correct. My problem came from the section "Formation" which tailed off after the transfers of the 18th and 26th division, leaving the impression that that was the end of it. I think it would be much better to take the information from the beginning of "North Africa .." and put it in "Formation". Something like " prior to embarking in Australia for Palestine in October 1940. In February 1941, following the division's deployment to the Middle East, further changes in the division's composition occurred. The 20th and 26th Brigades were transferred to the 9th Division and in exchange the division received the 18th and 25th Brigades. This structure, with the 18th, 25th and 26th Brigades, continued for the remainder of the war." End of Section. I put the "embarking in Australia" bit in because I had got thoroughly confused with brigades in England, Palestine and Australia, and lost track of the fact that this (July 1940?) reorganisation put all the division in Australia. Another minor problem arises in "North Africa ...". It seems from Alchin that the 18th Bde (or at least 2/10) did not go into Palestine on arrival in the ME, but camped outside Alexandria (although it is not 100% clear). So I suggest that the "North Africa ..." Section start something like "On arrival in the Middle East the division continued training before the 18th Brigade...". All the to-ing and fro-ing of brigades is certainly very messy!
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on 7th Division (Australia). Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20160309213301/http://army.gov.au/our-history/army-history-unit/chief-of-army-history-conference/previous-conference-proceedings/~/media/files/our%20history/aahu/conference%20papers%20and%20images/2003/2003-the_pacific_war_1943-1944_part_1.ashx to http://www.army.gov.au/Our-history/Army-History-Unit/Chief-of-Army-History-Conference/Previous-Conference-Proceedings/~/media/Files/Our%20history/AAHU/Conference%20Papers%20and%20Images/2003/2003-The_Pacific_War_1943-1944_Part_1.ashx
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.