Talk:822 Naval Air Squadron
While facts are not copyrightable, creative elements of presentation – including both structure and language – are. For an example of close paraphrasing, consider the following: The source says:
- At Ulunderpet, Southern India the squadron joined 11th Naval TBR Wing and from Katukurunda embarked on HMS Victorious with 21 aircraft for a strike on 18 September 1944 on a railway target at Sigli, Sumatra.
The article says:
- At Ulunderpet, the squadron joined 11th Naval TBR Wing and embarked on HMS Victorious with 21 aircraft for a strike on 18 September 1944 on a railway target at Sigli, Sumatra.
Every word in this sentence has been copied from the original, with some of the surrounding text omitted. This is clearly derivative of the original.
The source says:
- In January 1945 the squadron joined RAF Coastal Command for anti-submarine operations in the English Channel, being re-equipped with 12 Barracuda IIs in June 1945...
The article says:
- In January 1945 the squadron was allocated to RAF Coastal Command for anti-submarine operations in the English Channel after being re-equipped with 12 Barracuda IIs in June 1945.
I've bolded precise copying. The sentence deviates from the original by only a few words.
These are examples; there are other passages that follow quite closely.
As a website that is widely read and reused, Wikipedia takes copyright very seriously to protect the interests of the holders of copyright as well as those of the Wikimedia Foundation and our reusers. Wikipedia's copyright policies require that the content we take from non-free sources, aside from brief and clearly marked quotations, be rewritten from scratch. So that we can be sure it does not constitute a derivative work, this article should be revised to separate it further from its source. The essay Wikipedia:Close paraphrasing contains some suggestions for rewriting that may help avoid these issues. The article Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2009-04-13/Dispatches also contains some suggestions for reusing material from sources that may be helpful, beginning under "Avoiding plagiarism".
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on 822 Naval Air Squadron. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20030112151655/http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn712-825.htm to http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn712-825.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
An editor has reviewed this edit and fixed any errors that were found.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors. --Lineagegeek (talk) 21:34, 16 October 2016 (UTC)