|This page was nominated for deletion on 2008-01-11. The result of the discussion was keep.|
ASPIRA is a not for profit organization that has helped hundreds of thousands of Latino youths through their leadership programs. The page deserves to stay on Wikipedia.--—Preceding unsigned comment added by Sanjaysagar (talk • contribs) 20:17, 11 January 2008 (UTC)
- Can you provide any reliable sources in the article that would indicate the notability of the organization? Just because an organization does good things and has noble goals and accomplishments doesn't mean it is necessarily suitable for an inclusion in Wikipedia.--Oni Ookami AlfadorTalk|@ 20:20, 11 January 2008 (UTC)
There is an abundant public record documenting ASPIRA's notability, including the historical significance of the Aspira Consent Decree and the impact the agency has had in the lives of young Latinos, including New York City democratic mayoral nominee Fernando Ferrer. In a profile of Ferrer during his 2005 bid to be elected mayor of New York, for example, The New York Times wrote, "But it was his involvement in the Puerto Rican youth leadership group Aspira in high school that may have set the direction of his life, helping to develop his serious side while laying the groundwork for his political ambitions and public persona. Even now, on the campaign trail, he can seem like an overachieving debate-club president, bristling at questions or peppering his speech with words like ameliorate and temporize. Former members of Aspira describe it as a kind of public service boot camp, with seminars on Robert's Rules of Order and work on voter registration drives, that served as a catapult to prominence for generations of young Latinos. But the organization also helped its members form a sense of Nuyorican identity, one that promoted mainstream values in contrast to the more militant groups of that day. 'It was great because it gave us an opportunity to see that we weren't alone in our schools, gave us an opportunity to see that, yes, we were smart,' said Marlene Cintrón, the executive director of the HopeLine, a South Bronx charity that helps immigrants, adding, 'and we could get empowered together.'" Aspirany (talk) 16:56, 14 January 2008 (UTC) aspirany
- Honestly none of that establishes notability. Never mind the fact that its not actually mentioned or cited in the article. Quite frankly Wikipedia doesn't care about all that. Please read up on Wikipedia's notability policy so that you can better craft your case for notability, and take a look at WP:CITE as well; it should help.--Oni Ookami AlfadorTalk|@ 14:02, 15 January 2008 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on ASPIRA. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140222055847/https://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/eo/2013_08_EO/41-2249719_990_201206.pdf to https://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/eo/2013_08_EO/41-2249719_990_201206.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130901024405/http://www.citypaper.net/article.php?Charter-operator-owed-its-schools-millions-but-no-one-s-checking-its-books-15674 to http://www.citypaper.net/article.php?Charter-operator-owed-its-schools-millions-but-no-one-s-checking-its-books-15674
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.