Talk:Abduwali Abdukhadir Muse/Archive 1
|This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current talk page.|
Alternate names, and alternate translations
This NYTimes article specifies that the initial name for Abduwali was inaccurate. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/nyregion/22pirate.html?_r=1&hp
- This individual has half a dozen redirection to the article currently at Abduhl Wali-i-Musi.
- Arabic names, and names from cultures influenced Arabic naming styles are tricky. Maybe a case can be made that one of those alternate names, or the alternate name User:Kevin143 found -- Abduwali Abdukhadir Muse should be used instead of the first name used.
- Normally the way to suggest an alternate name replace an existing name would have been to make a suggestion on the talk page -- in this case Talk:Abduhl Wal-i-Musi.
- Normally, I think merging material from Abduhl Wali-i-Musi to this article would not be done, even if the consensus was that this was the best title, because the earlier, longer article has a longer revision history. Instead, a request would be made at Wikipedia:Requested Moves.
- Having said that, IMO, that the NYTimes -- or several newspapers -- report that the US government's original choice of names is incorrect is not a sufficient reason to rename the article.
- Here is a press release from the FBI using the name Abduwali Abdukhadir Muse. It seems like the media and government have standardized on this name and this is what will be used in the future. Thanks for the info about renaming, I was unsure of the proper procedure for that. http://newyork.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel09/nyfo042109.htm Kevin143 (talk) 04:09, 22 April 2009 (UTC)
- Definitely merge. I don't agree, though, with holding off. The two articles are covering the same person, but with different names. One article should be merged into the article with the name most commonly used in reliable secondary sources at the moment (though the FBI one should be given extra weight, imo). In that article, alternate names should be added. If it turns out the other name was correct, we can change the title of the article then. JEdgarFreeman (talk) 11:30, 22 April 2009 (UTC)
- Comment -- I don't think there is any question that there should only be one article. But I think there is no real doubt the older article, the one with the longer revision history, should be the one to remain. And, without intending to be mean -- is there any material in Abduwali Abdukhadir Muse that merits being merged into the larger, older article? Geo Swan (talk) 00:12, 23 April 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, the older one should remain, I made a mistake in creating this article. This article might as well be speedy deleted if not for the discussion here. However I am in favor of changing the name of the older article to the name the prosecution uses as soon as possible. Kevin143 (talk) 03:25, 23 April 2009 (UTC)