|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Afro-Argentines article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Isn't this article a little bit ridiculous concerning African diaspora in Argentina that doesn't exist? I've been to Argentina three times and I haven't met a native Argentine black yet. The few I have encountered were businessman from Brazil or other South American countries. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 23:52, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
- In fact, I checked the articles of the people listed as Afro Argentinians here and most of them look White to me. But the whole article is OR. To have a good article you would need to find real neutral sources (they may be in Spanish, by the way) to prove what is said here about genetic diversity in Argentina, the disproportionate number of black males killed during the 19th century wars, the black influence on the tango (all of which I recognize is probably true, unlike the "sinister" bit). --Paul Pieniezny (talk) 12:39, 8 December 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, this article needs a good clean-up. It would also be nice to know what was translated. If only to know what to throw away.--Paul Pieniezny (talk) 12:39, 8 December 2009 (UTC)
This article isn't ridiculous at all. My understanding is that Argentina did have a large African population in the 19th century...and now it does not. It's unclear why this happened. It could be that the population intermarried, and effectively disappeared. However, the disappearance of the black population from Argentina might be more sinister. Hence, this is an important issue, and I'm glad that someone has started this article, if only to get to the truth about what happened to he black population of Argentina. It could be, in fact, that nothing sinister happened. If that's the case, great. I for one would be happy. But it would be a mistake to be too sanguine about this issue. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 01:30, 31 October 2009 (UTC)
- "if only to get to the truth about what happened to he black population of Argentina". Er, that is basically screaming to call this article OR and POV. In fact, the apparent subject of this article is clearly notable (Blacks in Argentina's history, and their influence on its culture) - so this article should not be deleted. But it must be cleaned up, OR and POV must be got rid of. That is quite a task, probably. It would be nice to have sources.--Paul Pieniezny (talk) 12:39, 8 December 2009 (UTC)
Denying the Existence of a Population is Racist
Some people want to erase the African community in Argentina by denying it's very existence. Racial identity is also a very complex thing, especially when people are of mixed heritage. No ones heritage should be denied just because they are mixed.
Add to listing
I've translated the Afro-Argentine poems from the versions on the Spanish wiki. I included the racial slur "wop" as a translation of "bachicha", an offensive Argentine word meaning "Italian". Please don't revert for reasons of offense "wikipedia is not censored" etc.
Written in bad taste
"Ironically, for the Afro-Argentine, a free Afro-Argentine had less chance of survival than an enslaved Afro-Argentine."
Change to "Unfortunately, a free..."
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 5 external links on Afro-Argentines. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.cels.org.ar/Site_cels/publicaciones/informes_pdf/1998.Capitulo7.pdf
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://docentes.fe.unl.pt/~satpeg/PapersInova/Labor
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.argentina.gov.ar/argentina/portal/paginas.dhtml?pagina=259
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20101107112111/http://inadi.gob.ar:80/2010/10/afrodescendientes-y-el-censo-2010/ to http://inadi.gob.ar/2010/10/afrodescendientes-y-el-censo-2010/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090715021550/http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=47181 to http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=47181
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
An editor has reviewed this edit and fixed any errors that were found.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.