|WikiProject Australia||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
Indiana Jones 2006
Does Indiana Jones wear an Akubra?http://www.indygear.com/gear/fedora.shtml states The Indiana Jones styled Akubras are copies of his fedora styled by Herbert Johnson. Can anyone add more information? Tyrane 15:39, 3 July 2006 (UTC)
- It seems that Indiana Jones wears a fedora, not an akubra. 220.127.116.11 10:40, 15 August 2006 (UTC)
- Fedora is just a style of hat, not a brand. However, there is no proof of this trivia and in that link, some evidence to the contrary (although it does mention Akubras that are of similar design). Seeing as noone would really miss it, I'm going to delete it. MrAngy 02:30, 7 November 2006 (UTC)
Introduction - Generalisation
Trust me - no one in Australia goes "A hat - must be an akubra mate", and we also don't ride kangaroos. This is an encyclopaedia - not a pay out Australia zone. 18.104.22.168 04:54, 1 October 2007 (UTC)
- That wasn't the only problem with the lede. I've just rewritten it. Cheers, CWC 12:07, 3 October 2007 (UTC)
Jill Bowen book
I've recently found my copy of The Akubra Hat, a short but heavily illustrated book by Jill Bowen (Weldon Publishing, Sydney, 1988; ISBN 0-947116-52-4), which seems to have been written in co-operation with the Akubra company. I've changed some minor details in the article to agree with the book. I plan to add more info from the book to this article one day. Cheers, CWC 12:07, 3 October 2007 (UTC)
Links to Akubra distributors in External Links section
I am a principle in the US and Canadian distribution company for Akubra. Per the linking guidelines, because I have a potential financial interest in this article, I would like another editor to please restore a link to my company's list of Akubra dealers in the USA and Canada to the external links section. Currently the article has the following external links Akubra website Akubra hats in the UK Akubra hats in Germany Akubra France
The first link is to the Australian manufacture, the next three links are to distributors in the UK, Germany and France.
I am asking that another editor please add "Akubra hats in the US and Canada" with the link being http://www.akubra-usa.com/ak_akubra_dealers.html to this external links section for the article.
I believe this would objectively improve the article quality in that it would help North American English speaking people ( likely the largest class of non Australian users of this English language page ) who are interested in buying an Akubra find an Akubra store near them more quickly.
I have tightened up the lead. The reference to the various styles was removed many years ago - that editor claimed to be removing a 'commercial bias'. Given this is a commercial company, simply listing that they make a range of differently styled hats isn't a commercial bias but a basic description of the company. The context being that people do associate the company with bush hats and sometimes call any and all bush hats Akubras, when actually Akubra is just one manufacturer that makes other styles of hats, and not all bush hats are Akubras. I removed the bit about using hats to hold eggs etc as it is just silly. When I arrive at the office on a winter morning I sometimes pop my gloves into my Akubra Hampton, but that doesn't mean it should go into the lead of the article. Format (talk) 21:11, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Akubra. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080307031229/http://www.australiana.de/akubra/akubra_hats.htm to http://www.australiana.de/akubra/akubra_hats.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
An editor has reviewed this edit and fixed any errors that were found.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
- The australiana.de website (now dead) seems to have been advertising and/or an online store. I therefore deleted the external link that the bot just rescued. OTOH, it does have pictures (and descriptions/advertisements) of 23 varieties of Akubra hat, so I wouldn't oppose anyone restoring the link with a better description. Cheers, CWC 03:38, 26 December 2017 (UTC)