|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
There's only one "l" in "dialing" in America. I was going to "fix" this article, then realized this is one of those England-vs-US spelling differences. - DavidWBrooks 16:06, 15 Nov 2004 (UTC)
Outside director areas
According to List of dialling codes in the United Kingdom 31 STD codes that began 00 were changed in 1968 to new codes. This appears to be the first allocation of national codes that did not correspond to letters. I can't find an external source for this change or a reason why these codes were selected. MRSC (talk) 19:10, 25 September 2012 (UTC)
- At least one of Roger W. Haworth, Clive Feather, Ian Jolly, Selwyn Horne, Peter Walker or Andy Emmerson should know. It might also be worth asking on uk.telecom Usenet. The second 0 represented O, as in 0024 or 0OB4 for OBan, and so on.
- List of early STD codes in the UK shows the derivation of some allocations (some are buried in the text rather than shown in the list). The codes beginning 00 were quickly realised to be a mistake.
- BT were quite secretive about allocations, so there's very little detailed information in the public domain before 1994, when Oftel took over. There's a number of typos in the Oftel data - some of which still exist in Ofcom data.
- There's generally very little information from the pre-internet era. Even details of PhONEday in 1995 are becoming scarce with most of the sites that had details either long gone, or the site exists but they have simply deleted that older content as irrelevant. - 22.214.171.124 (talk) 22:04, 30 December 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on All-figure dialling. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120101012454/http://www.connected-earth.com/Journeys/Itpaystoadvertise/Thebirthofmarketing/Sellingthenetwork/index.htm to http://www.connected-earth.com/Journeys/Itpaystoadvertise/Thebirthofmarketing/Sellingthenetwork/index.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.