|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Ally McBeal article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|While the biographies of living persons policy does not apply directly to the subject of this article, it may contain material that relates to living persons, such as friends and family of persons no longer living, or living persons involved in the subject matter. Unsourced or poorly sourced contentious material about living persons must be removed immediately. If such material is re-inserted repeatedly, or if there are other concerns related to this policy, please see .|
|WikiProject Television||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
- 1 Question
- 2 DVD releases
- 3 Transgendered character
- 4 Firm Name
- 5 Christina Ricci - main cast member
- 6 Tracey Ullman
- 7 Wot no Fishisms?
- 8 Realism
- 9 Unisex
- 10 Criticism
- 11 Looking for help writing an article about the spin-offs and crossovers of this series
- 12 Broadcasters
- 13 Astroturf
- 14 Billy
- 15 DANCING BABY!?
- 16 Lolita
- 17 Soundtracks
- 18 Articles about individual characters
- 19 DVDs & Music
- 20 GA nomination for Ling Woo
- 21 Rollback on extensive edit (explanation)
- 22 Show description
- 23 NPOV
- 24 Cast photo
- 25 has the article on Richard Fish been removed? Why is there no article about him.
I`m new at this but, Ally Mc Beal was never shown on Televisa Canal Cinco, It was shown on TV Azteca but only a few episodes. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 08:02, 9 September 2010 (UTC)
The comment about DVD release is HIGHLY misleading and I would go so far as to say blatantly false unless someone can provide some sort of verifiable source; according to this Wikipedia article, Fox has recently announced that Ally McBeal and other David E. Kelley shows will soon be released, but the author then references an article that clearly states the exact opposite, that Fox does NOT have plans on releasing any of Kelley's shows except for Boston Legal. I am therefore removing this misinformation but inviting anyone to replace it if they can verify the DVD news with more than just Internet rumor. -- Minaker.
Re: the second Vonda Shephard addition, which I've deleted:
Vonda Shephard was a regular cast member, noted in the credits and mentioned above. She's not in the heading of a guest such as Barry Manilow.
User:nwt August 21st, 7:16 AM CDT
- Erm...can you please explain what yout post is about? There is no mention on these pages and at first I thought you meant there had been news the show would be released. Also I added the heading to your comment which was missing... Dollvalley (talk) 00:04, 29 February 2008 (UTC)
I've just added a slightly edited form of a paragraph that was previously part of the Barry White article. Vroman said, "The Ally Mcbeal connection should only be mentioned on the Ally McBeal page, if at all. It seems trite for it to appear here." The offending paragraph was then removed from the article by 18.104.22.168. Actually, I think the Ally McBeal connection should be mentioned in the Barry White article. I was never very familiar with either the singer or the television series, but I knew of the connection, so it must be well-known. Unfortunately, the paragraph as written looks out of place in both articles, so it probably needs some rewriting. -- Oliver P. 02:27 6 Jul 2003 (UTC)
Oh, and the word attractive in the opening paragraph is a point of view. Admittedly, it's a commonly held point of view, and one which crops up frequently in discussions of the programme by both its fans and its detractors, and therefore worthy of mention, but it still shouldn't be stated as a fact. I can't think of a way to reword it that sounds sensible, though... -- Oliver P. 02:49 6 Jul 2003 (UTC)
- Not really, IMO. Whether Flockhart is attractive, is debatable. But the series is so obviously intended to portray a herd of attractive lawyers that this is out of the question. :-) djmutex 10:23 6 Jul 2003 (UTC)
- Good point. She is attractive in the fictional setting of the series. ;) -- Oliver P. 23:47 6 Jul 2003 (UTC)
Erm, could somebody englighten me what cast member left over Ally's weight, as the article claims? Thanks. -- djmutex 17:09 10 Jun 2003 (UTC)
- Isn't this kinda thing purely speculative? Cast members always leave the show with ambiguous and courteous official reason like: "Enough experience with the show; need to move on with our lives". They still need to be in the biz! They probably felt that they better not insult anybody. --Menchi 19:29, 15 Aug 2004 (UTC)
You are thinking of Cindy McCauliff, played by Lisa Edelstein (who, incidentally, was actually born in Boston - does that make her unique among those who starred in the show ?).
Just added Cindy McCauliff to the list as you requested.
I thought the firm name was Cage & Fish, and not Cage, Fish & Associates until Ally was made a partner, which I think was after season 5 sometime.
Christina Ricci - main cast member
Christina Ricci was NOT a guest star, but was in fact a major cast member who was brought in halfway through season five. Many people mistake her for having been a guest star as the series ended, but she was intended to carry on into the next season. She appeared in 7 episodes of season 5. Pacian 07:12, 20 July 2006 (UTC)
- Ricci WAS a guest star. She was never included in the main titles therefore she can not be called a main character. Maybe she would've been had there been a season 6, but there wasn't.
Wot no Fishisms?
This article has no fishisms!WolfKeeper 21:58, 25 October 2006 (UTC)
The trial cases are strange and funny. But how realistic are the court procedures depicted? what is correct, what is not correct?--22.214.171.124 18:05, 20 February 2007 (UTC)
- As with just about any David E. Kelley production, and nearly all courtroom dramas in general, it's not very realistic at all. For one thing, most of a trial is not flowery speeches by the lawyers appealing to emotion, for another real trials take much longer and include much more boring details than included in the show. Also, these type of shows seem to have different rules of evidence and examination of witnesses than a real court. Frequently I'll be watching these shows and hear the attorney asking their own witness leading questions or repeating the same questions to a hostile witness without objection from the opposing counsel. And when's the last time you've seen more than 5 minutes of a lawyer or their assistants working on a post-hearing brief? That's one of the most common things they have to do if it's not a jury trial (which most aren't-- in fact, the vast majority of cases are disposed of before they even get to trial). You watch shows like this for drama, comedy, fun, but not to see what trial litigation is "really like". Kelley didn't build his TV career on rigorous realism-- I doubt hardly any TV producers of any sort have. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 17:22, 23 March 2009 (UTC)
No mention is made of the unisex bathroom!(unsigned comment)
Yes, such arrangements were only common in radical universities, has anyone heard of a real law firm where this happened? My art college had a trial with this for one term. It failed everyone. Very 1980s. Ern Malleyscrub (talk) 15:00, 26 April 2011 (UTC)
This statement is unsourced: "..received much criticism from TV critics and feminists who found the title character annoying and demeaning to women because of her excessive flightiness, lack of demonstrated legal knowledge, and extreme emotional instability."
It might be true but so what? It's like saying a bad-guy male character in an action film is demeaning to men because he's cruel, violent and not very intellectual. But we don't seem to hear that much, do we? Does the information (if true) belong in the article? EdX20 01:36, 10 July 2007 (UTC)
Looking for help writing an article about the spin-offs and crossovers of this series
I am writing an article about all of the series which are in the same shared reality as this one through spin-offs and crossovers. I could use a little help expanding the article since it is currently extremely dense and a bit jumbled with some sentence structures being extremely repetitive. I would like to be able to put this article into article space soon. Any and all help in writing the article would be appreciated, even a comment or two on the talk page would help. Please give it a read through, also please do not comment here since I do not have all of the series on my watch list. - LA @ 16:07, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
In this wiki you can find plenty of information praising this serie but you can't find ANY information opposing this serie, even worst, with the exception of a minor detail, there are not data about if the serie is currently on air or not. AFAIK this serie was CANCELED cause lack of audience.
This wiki is about information or to sell dvd?
- Did you bother to read even half the article before typing that rant? Did you miss the paragraph close to the top that talks about feminist criticism of the show? Donnabella (talk) 20:32, 28 July 2008 (UTC)
Whuch episode did the dancing baby appear on.. i know the plot of it but i can never seem to find the darn episode!! —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 21:33, 25 February 2009 (UTC) I know only the dancing Babies from "Unhappily 4 ever" & "Dharma & Greg":-D
At the Moment, Ally McBeal is showed in Germany in the Nught. Yesterday, there was a Episode with an opposite-Advocate called Lolita. She looks identical to French Singer Alizée, who performed "Moi Lolita". So my Question: Is Lolita played by Alizée? —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 18:47, 11 April 2009 (UTC)
Articles about individual characters
recently some articles about characters have been created and due to lack of sources per our policies of WP:N and WP:V the articles have been redirected back to this article. If anyone has sources to show notability, please feel free to use them to create valid articles. If no third party sources exist for the topic, then the simple redirects back to the main article will suffice. -- The Red Pen of Doom 02:03, 30 June 2009 (UTC)
- I will admit here that I do not know the slightest thing about this subject. However, I do feel that anyone answering should read TheRedPenOfDoom's talk page and my own. Alaphent (talk) 02:24, 30 June 2009 (UTC)
- I have read all relevant talk page entires, as well as the ANI Investigation that was launched. Please feel free to debate content, and if content disputes cannot be resolved then seek remedies such as WP:RFC. However please assume good faith at all times. Disagreement over content does not constitute vandalism. Attempting to enforce policy also does not constitute vandalism, except where policy is being blatantly and maliciously misinterpreted (which is not the case here). Manning (talk) 03:36, 30 June 2009 (UTC)
DVDs & Music
I heavily added new information to the DVD section, including a picture of the upcoming complete series DVD, with references and added a much-needed music section, with information on Vonda as well as the 4 soundtracks. I also changed the opening screenshot as I felt the original intertitle was more appropriate.Evil silence (talk) 06:57, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
Rollback on extensive edit (explanation)
Basically, an edit was made by Peejaydee that removed a lot of information from the article. While it does seem that the edit was made in good faith, for such a big overhaul perhaps a discussion here first would be better? No offence meant to the editor in question at all. Sky83 (talk) 12:20, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
In the popular culture section (is anything about this show not popular culture? but I digress) the statement " Luckily, due to the nature of the show being little more than fan service, ..." seems to be a personal opinion. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 17:25, 21 November 2012 (UTC)
Currently, we are using a cast photo from season four, which includes Robert Downey, Jr. However, I'm uncertain that it is the best photo of the show's cast. Frankly, we must avoid an image that requires license for any use, like ones at Getty Images. Now that amount of cast photo must be no more than ONE, shall we keep the season 4 cast, or replace it with another? --George Ho (talk) 00:58, 23 February 2014 (UTC)