Talk:Anarchism and violence
|WikiProject Philosophy||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
This page has a lot of unique content not contained in the anarchism page. Redirection is being done for polictical reasons
Could do with with stuff on
- Structural violence I tried to tie it in at the onset, but feel a new section is needed that deals with anarchist definitions of violence: that direct action should be seen as self-defense rather than terrorism.
- Nechayev (who wrote Catechism of a Revolutionary
- Ravachol (big influence on Bakunin
- Alexander Berkman (Propaganda by deed, tried to assasinate Henry Clay Frick (I think, or was it one of the Hearst family?) failed and ended up spending most of his life in prison. And he was Emma Goldman's lover..
- Yes, Berkman tried to assasinate Frick; he spent 14 years in prison, and committed suicide at age 66. But don't forget the European tyrannicides from the same period -- IIRC, the rulers of Spain (don't remember his name), Italy (King Umberto I of Italy), and a few other countries were assasinated around that time. -- bpt 03:30 May 7, 2003 (UTC)
what about Valerie Solanas and her SCUM Manifesto as a more recent example of violence & anarchism? havn't got time to write it myself, or indeed if I can remeber enough- I've got Nechayev's Catechism somewhere, I'll try & dig it out sometime quercus robur 16:10 Jan 11, 2003 (UTC)
What exactly is the source for "In this climate, some anarchists began to advocate and practice terrorism (i.e., attacks on civilians)" ? It sounds like a POV edit to me, and needs to be changed. 126.96.36.199 12:15, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
What is this about Anarcho-capitalists opposing violence except for self defense, yet supporting the American Revolution? Of course they support the American Revolution, it was self defense. Americans did not go to England and start shooting people, the British came to America and started shooting Americans. I am removing this, it is an obvious bias against anarcho-capitalists by someone who does not understand the American Revolution or self-defense. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Xiamcitizen (talk • contribs) 19:50, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
Ummmm, I think you need to take another look at the history books regarding the American War of Independence. The causes and rationale for the conflict are a lot more complex than you're implying. As a result, the action of removing items in the article is questionable. Cashcleaner (talk) 08:29, 26 November 2007 (UTC)
Image copyright problem with Image:ZangaraMugshot.jpg
The image Image:ZangaraMugshot.jpg is used in this article under a claim of fair use, but it does not have an adequate explanation for why it meets the requirements for such images when used here. In particular, for each page the image is used on, it must have an explanation linking to that page which explains why it needs to be used on that page. Please check
- That there is a non-free use rationale on the image's description page for the use in this article.
- That this article is linked to from the image description page.
Nietzsche and history of Anarchist terror
The image of the anarchist as terrorist must be considerably earlier than the McKinley Assassination, and probably ahve a European origin because Nietzsche wrote his aphorism that "No more than anarchists harm princes. Only because the latter are shot at do they once more sit securely on their thrones."·ʍaunus·snunɐw· 05:30, 21 January 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Anarchism and violence. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20130518071734/http://www.anarchiststudies.org/node/292 to http://anarchiststudies.org/node/292
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.