|WikiProject Greece||(Rated Stub-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject Islands||(Rated Stub-class)|
Angistri or Agistri
- Agistri certainly seems the most popular, and was used 30 odd years ago when I visited. But I note the official Hellenic Statistical Authority uses "Municipality of Agkistri" in its statistical tables. So the name seems highly debatable. Rwendland (talk) 13:11, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
I now plan to move this page to "Agistri" as both the claimed Official Website and a Greek govt English document use "Agistri", and google searching has far more hits for "Agistri". Unless anyone objects over the next few days with good reasons. Rwendland (talk) 10:42, 28 May 2016 (UTC)
File:Angistri Flagge.png Nominated for Deletion
|An image used in this article, File:Angistri Flagge.png, has been nominated for deletion at Wikimedia Commons in the following category: Deletion requests February 2012
Don't panic; a discussion will now take place over on Commons about whether to remove the file. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion, although please review Commons guidelines before doing so.
To take part in any discussion, or to review a more detailed deletion rationale please visit the relevant image page (File:Angistri Flagge.png)
Error in the Name Angistri
The island is not nor had it ever been referred to by the locals as ANGISTRI. I live on the island. All official references to the island are Agistri. We call it Agistri. Where the trouble began is the phonetic spelling. There is no "G" sound in the Greek language. We therefore combine the Gamma and Kappa to form the "G" sound. Hence the phonetic spelling AGKISTRI. To the untrained ear it may sound like and "N" we can assure you it is not. All offical translations and Hellenic Ferry companies use the AGISTRI. We really need to move this as it is costing the island in some cases bookings to the confusion. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Gkleponis (talk • contribs) 09:02, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Gkleponis, firstly it does not matter what the locals call it as English Wikipedia uses the English WP:COMMONNAME, however what "official references" does matter but you didn't link any.  does call its self the 'official site' but I could not confirm or deny, but although I could not find any good links googling "gov.gr" sites they mention "Agistri" and "Angistri" only a couple of times (more if you count urls: several links to Agistri.com etc). Note that this article on ydra.gov.gr is from April 2016 and uses Angistri so it's not as one sided as your posts would suggest. However one of the images that was broken with blind search/replace clearly shows a local map with the English as "Agistri" which is quite a good source for your argument (see File:20090517 map sign Angistri island Greece.jpg). So I have moved the page, and renamed carefully so as not to break the images and commons link. All the best KylieTastic (talk) 13:22, 3 June 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Agistri. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20150921212047/http://dlib.statistics.gr/Book/GRESYE_02_0101_00098%20.pdf to http://dlib.statistics.gr/Book/GRESYE_02_0101_00098%20.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.