From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
          This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:
WikiProject Linguistics / Applied Linguistics  (Rated C-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Linguistics, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of linguistics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by the Applied Linguistics Task Force.
WikiProject Writing systems (Rated B-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article falls within the scope of WikiProject Writing systems, a WikiProject interested in improving the encyclopaedic coverage and content of articles relating to writing systems on Wikipedia. If you would like to help out, you are welcome to drop by the project page and/or leave a query at the project’s talk page.
B-Class article B  This article has been rated as B-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.


Part of the "anglicisms in french" part of the article is directly lifted from some essay on the internet.

Can you point the url where it was taken? drini 02:08, 20 May 2005 (UTC)

"...been found to translate online chat. The word clavardage is increasingly common. This neologism is a portmanteau word coined from the words clavier (in English, keyboard) and bavardage (in English, chat). A further retranslation, French into English, may be "keystering", partly from keister meaning buttocks. is proof that there is more than one way to skin a cat.)... " Is it proper to have an English idiom in here?


While it maybe interesting to see Anglicism in different languages, this article would become pragmatic with nothing more than little paragraphs showcasing different languages and their treatment to some universal English words over and over again. I would prefer this article to categorise the types of anglicism instead. See the [[1]] version for this article for ideas. Each categories maybe illustrated by examples found in various languages of course.--Kvasir 06:39, 4 February 2006 (UTC) this is bullshit


Dunglish is not the same as Anglicisms. I suggest to remove the link to Dunglish and start a paragraph about Anglicisms in Dutch. 16:30, 16 April 2007 (UTC)


Isn't it much more likely that kil (keel), maszt (mast) are loanwords from Germany? It is true that the origin is probably English, however the word has been found in Germanic languages at about 10 AC. If you call that an "Anglicism" you could go as far as to say: There are no Anglicisms, because almost every word in English is either Germanic, Latin or French which would make e.g. 25% of them "Latinicisms". —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 07:38, 18 December 2010 (UTC)


Since my mother tongue is Italian but I live in the German part of Switzerland, I think that anglicisms are much more used in German than in Italian, at least in the written language. Just have a look at any Swiss German free newspaper (20Minuten, Blick am Abend) ! I wouldn't write that "Italy is the country in Europe where anglicism are most used, without alterations (without source)". One of the countries. But not THE. M89arco (talk) 12:27, 20 June 2011 (UTC)