Talk:Ant colony optimization algorithms
|WikiProject Computer science||(Rated B-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Systems||(Rated B-class, Low-importance)|
thank you everyone
I just wanted to say I love each and every one of you that contributed about 80 scholarly articles to the citations page, and my thesis does too. Go free knowledge. 7:30 PM Feb 16 2012 -5:00GMT (East US)
I suggest to move the related methods section to the "combinatorial optimization" article, also including a short description for ACO.
This article would benefit from a description of the algorithm in Dorigo's paper, in addition to the high-level overview. I can't find information on the implentation of this algorithm anywhere. Twelvethirteen 08:17, 28 May 2006 (UTC)
Is there any non-trivial difference between ACO and neural networks?
- They're fundamentally different creatures altogether.
- ACO is population-based, ANNs are not.
- ACO is specifically for graph-based problems (or problems which can be converted into graph/decision problems); ANN is more akin to a mathematical function.
- ANN typically trains via BackProp and gradient descent; via computing errors and filtering those errors back. ACO essentially balances numerous greedy aspects with eachother, premised upon a series of continuous values that have no direct connection to 'errors' at all.
- ACO could easily be used (and has been used) to train a neural network, but I can't conceive of any way that an ANN could ever 'train' an ACO or ACS. 18.104.22.168 (talk) 02:44, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
Should the references on this article be updated to follow general Wikipedia style guidelines? --Jeffrey Sharkey 18:59, 1 September 2006 (UTC)
add http://whoyouknow.co.uk/ants/ - currently in progress computer science bsc project investigating ant behaviour and its uses in computing, implemented using java.
In external links, it says that the MIDACO library can be used with Python. However, on their website, I can only see support listed for Matlab, Excel, C/C++ and Fortran. Unless MIDCAO actually provide a documented Python interface, I think it should be removed from the list of supported languages. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 12:06, 24 August 2011 (UTC)
- Thank you, I've removed it. It only says "it can be linked via gateways in principle to all major programming languages (e.g. Python, Java)". InverseHypercube (talk) 03:29, 6 August 2012 (UTC)
There is no foundation for the knapsack problem caption and image in this article. While it might be relevant, there is insufficient context to support it at present. If this is meant to be an extension of TSP-like problems, that extension should be stated explicitly somewhere in the article. 126.96.36.199 (talk) 03:14, 13 December 2010 (UTC)
More explanation would be helpful
I find the section 'Common extensions' not very clear. I have a background in mathematics and some experience with computer science, and even for me there is nowhere near enough context or explanation. This section clearly would provide good information, but at the moment it only does this for those who already have a good understanding of what ACOAs do and how they work.
Thanks for the introduction to the topic, though, and particularly for the references.
(Apologies for any etiquette problems - this is my first wikipedia post...)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Ant colony optimization algorithms. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20160304110324/http://www.cse.unt.edu/~smohanty/Publications_Conferences/2012/Mohanty_ISQED2012_Kriging-ACO.pdf to http://www.cse.unt.edu/~smohanty/Publications_Conferences/2012/Mohanty_ISQED2012_Kriging-ACO.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140729081848/http://www.cse.unt.edu/~smohanty/Publications_Conferences/2013/Mohanty_MWSCAS2013_Reversible-Circuit.pdf to http://www.cse.unt.edu/~smohanty/Publications_Conferences/2013/Mohanty_MWSCAS2013_Reversible-Circuit.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110719105224/http://ems.eit.uni-kl.de/index.php?id=156 to http://ems.eit.uni-kl.de/index.php?id=156
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.