Talk:Architect's scale

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Architecture (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Architecture, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Architecture on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.

Merger proposal[edit]

I propose that Engineer's scale be merged into Architect's scale. The content in the Engineer's article is very brief, nearly identical to Architect's—compare texts, and note identical "See also" and "External links" sections—with any slight differences accommodated by edits to the latter article, and eventual addition of sections for each set of applications (architectural, engineering, etc.). Note, the strength of this proposal lies in the need for a merger, and not the direction (which of the two merges into the other); direction for the proposal was chosen by virtue of the greater section structure of the Architect's article, and the accompanying renaming proposal makes the direction immaterial.

In addition, note: the Architect's article is of a reasonable size that the merging of the other will not cause any problems as far as article size is concerned. Since the material is near to identical, it will not cause an issue as far as undue weight is concerned.

Finally, the labor to merge is minimal (est. ~ 30 min's work), and having a single article focuses attention for future editing of these two simple, largely ignored articles, halving the amount of time required to maintain and develop one high quality article.

If this proposal is accepted, the articles names should likely also be changed, e.g., to "Scale (architecture and engineering)", or to a shortened version with redirects. A simple proposal, I hope. Cheers. Le Prof Leprof 7272 (talk) 23:41, 15 February 2015 (UTC)

It is also notable that both articles bear "unreferenced" tags, at least since 2011, and neither have had more than ~50 total edits this one since 2005, the other since 2009. Leprof 7272 (talk) 23:49, 15 February 2015 (UTC)

Agreed I think merging the two will lead to a higher quality article. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 2607:F140:400:A003:F426:39AD:2FA6:ED3D (talk) 22:25, 2 September 2015 (UTC)

  • Tentative agree Engineer's Scales (and Metric Scales) are not the same as an Architect's Scale, although they perform the same function. If merged, they should be merged to the page scale ruler (as that's what they all are) which redirects to Architects scale. --kelapstick(bainuu) 02:40, 5 July 2016 (UTC)

Bad picture[edit]

The image at the top right of this web page illustrates nothing particular to an Architect's scale. It just has an inch-ruler and a centimeter ruler, and therefore doesn't show the reader anything that makes an Architect's scale unique from those well-known tools. So what if it's made from shiny metal. (talk) 19:26, 25 March 2016 (UTC)