|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons (BLP) policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are a subject of this article, or acting on behalf of one, and you need help, please see this help page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Somos Novios Plagiarism Case
The passive voice in this sentence has gotta go: "...who was accused of plagiarism and forced to return all the royalties he gained from 'It's Impossible.'"
Somenone had to be the opposite party in that case, which in turn has to be a matter of public record somewhere. A quick Internet search, of "Armando Manzanero" and "plagiarism," has turned up little about the issue beyond reprints of this Wikipedia article. I'll pursue more on this when and if I have time (e.g. do a detailed translation of the citation in the footnote that's in Spanish)...
This passage too ... please: "This was a great blow for Manzanero, who had composed the song 'Somos Novios' twenty years before and who was himself the victim of plagiarism by a composer (not Sid Wayne). Today, it's acknowledged that Manzanero was indeed the composer of this song and that he was wrongfully accused."
One site, which evidently still has an earlier version of this article posted, says that the plagiarist was "the opposite party" in the case. I'd bet ten dollars to a donut that it was Wayne's record company that brought the suit, perhaps against Wayne's will (or merely the "better angels" of his nature?) -- all pure speculation, of course. Who knows? Nevertheless, this thing smells of some kind of cover-up to me.
IMHCO, what is in the public record on this matter ought to be presented here in a NPOV manner. Whatever embarrassment the truth might cause the music/legal world. Yes, even if it turns out that this was a bald-faced ripoff of a Mexican composer which has never been corrected.
Or should I say "especially if"...??? ô¿ô 15:33, 3 September 2009 (UTC)
- I am deleting the statement, "Today, it's acknowledged that Manzanero was indeed the composer of this song and that he was wrongfully accused....", along with a Spanish-language quote from a supporting statement that Wilbert Alonzo Cabrera, supposedly a founder of the Association of Entertainment Critics (ACE) of New York, is alleged to have made in 2006. First, to my great frustration, my brief web search did not turn up that statement. More seriously, the History page (in English) on the ACE website does not list Alonzo Cabrera among ACE's founding members. A more detailed history in Spanish, Entidad con Historia, by Carlos Velázquez (Galos Publishing), is advertised on the ACE web site, with a phone number to call for information about obtaining it. (I'm interested, just for the purpose of this investigation, but am not rich enough to actually get it, if it costs money.)
- So, I think at this point we have nothing. I hate to delete information favorable to Manzanero (who may have been the victim of a great injustice) from this article and the Sid Wayne one, but all we have is a court decision that went against him, and a widely disseminated (on a lot of web sites that probably got it from us) but completely unsourced opinion that the decision was unfair. Peter Chastain (talk) 06:03, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
- Actually, I was who first found that information on the internet and edited the spanish wikipedia article with it (later translated unto the english wikipedia). That was four years ago and now the article has been completely re-written (in a very lousy manner) by countless editors. I don't have the time nor volition to rewrite it. One thing's for sure: Mr. Manzanero did write that song ages ago, definitely before the english version. Anyone who knows anything about latinamerican music would acknowledge this, as it's extremely well known. (I'll discuss this matter further later, I'm busy atm)Rosa 19:13, 22 January 2012 (UTC)
File:Armando Manzanero.jpg Nominated for speedy Deletion
|An image used in this article, File:Armando Manzanero.jpg, has been nominated for speedy deletion at Wikimedia Commons for the following reason: Copyright violations
Don't panic; deletions can take a little longer at Commons than they do on Wikipedia. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion (although please review Commons guidelines before doing so). The best way to contest this form of deletion is by posting on the image talk page.
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Armando Manzanero. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20061112040450/http://www.elmariachi.com:80/artists/armando_manzanero.asp to http://www.elmariachi.com/artists/armando_manzanero.asp
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070322171736/http://www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx:80/espanol/cultura_y_sociedad/personajes/detalle.cfm?idcat=3&idsec=20&idsub=0&idpag=2644 to http://www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx/espanol/cultura_y_sociedad/personajes/detalle.cfm?idcat=3&idsec=20&idsub=0&idpag=2644
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.