|WikiProject Law||(Rated C-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject European Union|
Merge into proposal for moral rights
Isn't the following true: Author's rights licensed to a corporation in civil law countries expire a certain time after the original author's death (often 70 years), while corporate-owned copyright in common law countries expires a certain time after publication (again, often 70 years)?
This would make for a difference in expiration time. For example, currently there is a case in Germany (de:Zeitungszeugen), where the state government of Bavaria is trying to stop the republication of newspapers from 1933. The point of the project was to give a less filtered view of the Nazi takeover to modern audiences by reprinting both pro- and anti-Nazi newspapers from the period of the takeover. Bavaria claims to own the copyright of all materials published by Hitler, the Nazi Party, and its subdivisions. The argument is that, although 1933 is more than 70 years ago, some of the authors of those newspapers haven't been dead for 70 years yet. -- 18.104.22.168 (talk) 22:23, 29 January 2009 (UTC)
- I have no idea about civil law countries. In the U.S. publication was once the critical moment for purposes of copyright longevity, and today remains relevant. United States law cares about both the date of creation and publication, with a bias towards inducing publication.
- You are referring to straight copyright law. I'd recommend you take a look at the German copyright law article for duration questions. LH (talk) 20:28, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Authors' rights. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20061109192459/http://www.opsi.gov.uk:80/si/si1995/Uksi_19953297_en_3.htm to http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19953297_en_3.htm#mdiv5
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070311125424/http://www.wipo.int:80/clea/docs_new/en/ie/ie020en.html to http://www.wipo.int/clea/docs_new/en/ie/ie020en.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20050525055334/http://www.wipo.int:80/clea/docs_new/en/cy/cy001en.html to http://www.wipo.int/clea/docs_new/en/cy/cy001en.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.