|WikiProject Computing / Software||(Rated Start-class)|
|WikiProject Software / Computing||(Rated Start-class)|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Autopackage article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
Someone added this (taken from Joey Hess's blog)
- Autopackage package cannot be extracted by anything except autopackage or a reimplementation of it.
- No formal design documentation
- Its not possible to extract Autopackage package without running it - big security problem.
While there are criticisms of Autopackage, the above aren't valid. I removed it for now, as it's not really correct. However, because I'm an Autopackage dev, I don't really feel comfortable writing something about it, maybe someone else can add something?
Just for the record:
Autopackage package cannot be extracted by anything except autopackage or a reimplementation of it.
You can use standard UNIX tools to extract an Autopackage (Use cut and tar to extract a .package)
No formal design documentation
Autopackages are explicitly designed to be installed by Autopackage. Other tools shouldn't attempt to install them. The design is documented, to a certain extent, in files and comments in the code.
Its not possible to extract Autopackage package without running it - big security problem.
It is possible, like I explained above (with cut and tar). I'm guessing this is a summary of this Gentoo post. What's a trusted tool?
tmorton 06:15, 21 January 2007 (UTC)
Mike Hearn redirect
I noticed Mike Hearn redirects to Autopackage here, so I searched for sources that might support a stand-alone article. Coindesk states Hearn is one "of the core developers" of Bitcoin, and here and here he also says he works for Google. Google Scholar did not find anything. I can't see enough for an article, but I'll leave this note here for the future. -84user (talk) 13:05, 6 November 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 4 external links on Autopackage. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://autopackage.org/
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.linux.com/articles/60124
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.autopackage.org/packages/
- Replaced archive link https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://autopackage.org with https://web.archive.org/web/20050513222726/http://autopackage.org:80/ on http://autopackage.org
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.