From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Can this apply to the case where the same note is repeated on different strings?[edit]

In the minuet of Joseph Haydn's Symphony #28, the same note is repeated many times while alternating from fingered on one string to open on another. It sounds a bit different than when the note is repeated on the same string. Is this another form of "bariolage" or is it called something else? DavidRF 20:12, 29 December 2006 (UTC)

No, it's bariolage, since it is a rapid alteration between notes on different strings. It doesn't matter if the notes played on the different strings are the same or not; it's bariolage in any case. +ILike2BeAnonymous 01:30, 30 December 2006 (UTC)

Who says so?[edit]

"In the following example, from a violin sonata by Handel,[1] the second measure is to be played with bariolage." Who says so? Handel gives no such indication, and although it would be reasonable to assume that open A's are intended, 2000 1000 2000 1000 is just as likely a fingering. (talk) 00:22, 3 December 2014 (UTC)

"Waistcoat pattern"[edit]

FYI, Baker's 1907 Dictionary of Musical Terms defines bariolage as a "waistcoat pattern" produced on sheet music by a series of cadenzas. Hyacinth (talk) 21:15, 3 May 2015 (UTC)

Citing Stainer and Barrett, as it happens (this would be Stainer and Barrett's A Dictionary of Musical Terms, 1876). As it stands, this is completely incomprehensible (to me, at least). Further investigation indicates this is not quite accurate, however. Stainer and Barrett say that "bariolage" is a French term for a medley, which in turn they define (on page 50) as "a cadenza, or a series of cadenzas, whose appearance forms a design upon the music paper, a 'waistcoat pattern' as it is called by performers". Clearly a different sense from the stringed-instrument technique, though (just barely) comprehensible in the context of the original meaning of the French word: "a strange mixture of colours".—Jerome Kohl (talk) 06:23, 6 May 2015 (UTC)

Guitar bariolage?[edit]

Is it bariolage if the technique is applied to guitar? I've only seen this term applied to bow instruments or other classical instruments. Also, none of the many songs with guitar bariolage are listed under "Twentieth-century extensions". Most famously, AC/DC's guitarist uses this technique throughout their song "Thunderstruck". I can think of several more rock and heavy metal songs that use this technique on guitar:

Not sure if any of this info can be added, but I was curious if it is legitimate to call this technique "bariolage". — Tha†emoover†here (talk) 07:30, 30 September 2016 (UTC)