Talk:Basilica of Our Lady of Licheń
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Sanktuarium Matki Bożej Bolesnej Królowej Polski, Licheń
Can I ask why this page was moved to a Polish name? This is the English wikipedia please, "Sanktuarium Matki Bożej Bolesnej Królowej Polski, Licheń" is not English; why don't we just remove the English text and make it Polish too, that way the intended audience (presumably only Polish speakers) won't be troubled with any English. - Calgacus (ΚΑΛΓΑΚΟΣ) 19:24, 6 June 2006 (UTC)
What a beautiful Basilica. Can't believe I missed it during my vast travels in the PRL. I hope the photos do it justice. Wow! Hope to see it in person. Dr. Dan 03:03, 18 June 2006 (UTC)
- No wonder you missed it, it was opened in 2004... And believe me, there is little beautiful in it except for the scale. Regardless of its style (or lack of such), on a closer look it's kitchy. You know, plastic instead of gold, concrete instead of marble... Sure, it's big (biggest in Poland, 12th shrine of any religion in the world, the architect once assured that 250,000 people could fit in there), but the inside is a complete mixture of styles and resembles a huge railway station - if anything. Definitely not a place for a silent prayer... //Halibutt 15:35, 18 June 2006 (UTC)
Duh! I'm playing Matchbox Twenty's Mad Season, as I write this (maybe you know the song), I've downloaded it onto my PC to play on occasions like this. And now that I've read the article instead of looked at the pictures, I probably didn't miss too much. If your description is accurate, about the kitsch, I'll take a pass, or at least not go way out of my way when I visit, to see it. Dr. Dan 15:49, 18 June 2006 (UTC)
- Well, it's definitely worth visiting, but not for its beauty. Rather it is a great training ground for an anthropologist or ethnologist. After all the church is exactly what I would call a neo-Baroque: it doesn't follow any style at all, but follows the principle of Baroque in that it is to impress the meek and the petty. And believe me, it does. Facing such a structure, most of the pilgrims indeed feel amazed and start behaving... err... strangely. //Halibutt 09:48, 19 June 2006 (UTC)
Basilica of Our Lady of Licheń?
I've never visited it so I don't know but according to the Basilica of Our Lady of Licheń article that church has a nave height of 98 metres! Now if that is correct this church would well boot the current record holder Beauvais Cathedral with a nave height of 43 metres (under half the height!) into second place.Is this a typing error or what. --Ormie2 (talk) 21:06, 8 January 2011 (UTC)
- I believe the problem is the use of the term "nave" in the english translation of the Lichen article. The nave is the main body of the church where worshipers congregate. That part of the Basilica of Lichen appe--Tvbanfield (talk) 16:37, 15 January 2011 (UTC)rs to be only about 35 meters high. I think you will find that the 98 meter dimension refers to the height of the dome. Beauvais is the record holder, not of the highest dome, but of the highest vaulted cathedral in Europe -- with a height of 48 meters.--Tvbanfield (talk) 15:10, 13 January 2011 (UTC)
- I do not know, but maybe checking the Polish article, German, etc. will help. History2007 (talk) 21:18, 8 January 2011 (UTC)
- I checked the Polish WIKI article and found from the table that the height of the main nave is 44 meters and the height of the dome is 103.5 meters. I think these are external measurements, not internal, but the article does not make that clear. So that explains the Ormie2 question. I recommend the English article be changed accordingly. I will do so if there are no objections.--Tvbanfield (talk) 15:10, 13 January 2011 (UTC)
I think the article needs a section describibg how other architects review the aesthetic value of the building :) Judged by the opinions on Syscrapercity / Forum Polskich Wieżowców the church is perceived as extremely tacky 126.96.36.199 (talk) 04:06, 10 February 2011 (UTC)
One thing that needs to be added to this article, if a source can be found, is the degree to which, unlike the other large churches in the world, it is out in the middle of nowhere. I've been to it a couple of times and the village to which it is attached is hardly more than a wide place in the road, with only two or three major streets. Physically the village is fairly large, but that's because the old church there was also a pilgrimage site and had extensive grounds for the pilgrimages. In terms of population and permanent residents, it is very small. (Our article on the village says there's 1,100, but I can't imagine that doesn't include quite a few people from the surrounding rural areas.) If there was some measure of remoteness or population density versus church size this place would surely win by a considerable measure. Regards, TransporterMan (TALK) 21:07, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Basilica of Our Lady of Licheń. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140202190036/http://www.texnews.com/1998/religion/rival0620.html to http://www.texnews.com/1998/religion/rival0620.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131212055155/http://www.catholicvoice.ie/features/2009/06/21/our_lady_of_lichen_poland to http://www.catholicvoice.ie/features/2009/06/21/our_lady_of_lichen_poland
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.