Talk:Battle of Stiklestad
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on July 29, 2005, July 29, 2006, and July 29, 2007.|
It is probably wise to use the english names of the scandinavian kings in the english version of wikipedia. I guess the norwegian/danish/swedish names could (should?) be included if the english name is presented in the same article.
For a norwegian like my self it is awkward to see "Snorri Sturluson" used for Snorre Sturlason. I assume Snorri Sturluson is the Icelandic spelling. Snorre (Snorri) being from Iceland I have introduced this form and made an internal link. Snorri Sturluson is the only version to be found in wikipedia. Is this correct? Should there be any redirects?
I have made an intro, added external link and corrected a few typos as well. Hope the result is ok.
Crukis 22:37, 15 Aug 2004 (UTC)
Snorri Sturluson is both the modern Icelandic and Old Norse form of the name, clearly it is better to use this than a modern Norwegian corruption. The same goes for the spellings of Olav, Tore, Kalv Arneson, et cetera which I have changed to Olaf, Thorir, Kalf Arnason which are closer approximations of the original spellings and pronunciations aswell as being more common in modern English scholarship. Someone seemed to have gone through and systematically changed all of these names to modern Norwegian forms, this needs to be guarded against. BodvarBjarki (talk) 14:45, 3 August 2010 (UTC)
Found this in Wikimedia Commons
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Stiklestad.jpg has an interesting picture of this battle. -- 18.104.22.168 01:56, 25 July 2005 (UTC)
- The picture in question is made by Halvdan Egedius. Some of his pictures has becomem famous as they are used as illustrations to many publications of the Norse Saga. His rendition of the Battle of Stiklestad is probably one of the most famous.
Using the term 'Norwegian Civil War' is in my view incorrect with regards to the conflict between Olav Digre and the Danish-supported lords. Traditionally, 'civil war' has been used about the period between 1130 and 1186, as numerous pretenders to the throne clashed (partly) because of the liberal succession laws. Some even feel it includes the bagler/birkebeiner conflict, thus not concluding before 1217.
The conflict between Olav and King Canute/The peasant leaders is, in its deepest sense, the same conflict that ensued when Håkon jarl broke the Lade family's alliance with the Fairhair decendants. However, this conflict has no real name. Suggestions?
- It really need references. Some of the speculations in the article is dubious. "The rather barren and hostile Trøndelag..." - hostile yes, but barren? The lowland around Trondheimsfjord has lots of marine deposits as it is an old seabed, rich in nutrients and easy to grow crops in, indeed the dense population in the Trondheimsfjord-area is why this often was considered the most powerful area of Norway in the Viking Age ("where the largest power of the country lies" is a frase often used in Heimskringla to describe the area); see this picture from Verdal, parts of the valley. And Nidaros (Trondheim) was considered the capital of the country, and the Ting here was were kings were traditionally acclaimed and accepted as King of Norway (not always accepted in the whole country, though). Orcaborealis (talk) 18:55, 8 May 2008 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Battle of Stiklestad. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090408023410/http://www.stiklestad.no:80/historie/Slageti1030/slaget.html to http://www.stiklestad.no/historie/Slageti1030/slaget.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070309034257/http://www.stiklestad.no:80/english.shtml to http://www.stiklestad.no/english.shtml
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.