|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Beta Israel article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Archives: 1, 2|
|This article contains a translation of Falashas from fr.wikipedia.|
|Threads older than 3 months may be archived by.|
Genetics for ethnic groups RfC
For editors interested, there's an RfC currently being held: Should sections on genetics be removed from pages on ethnic groups?. As this will almost certainly result in the removal of the "genetics" section from this article, I'd encourage any contributors to voice their opinions there. --Katangais (talk) 20:04, 30 April 2016 (UTC)
Better images up-front?
Not to sound critical, but the article is frontloaded with photographs of uniformed IDF-members, but is this appropriate? Are Israelis of Ethiopian ancestry disproportionately represented in the Israeli military, or vice versa? I considered boldly switching them around myself, but moving any of the other (themed) images out of their sections would be problematic, and moving either of the first two images would lead to a dearth of image of actual people in the first few sections of this article on a group of people.
- I have seen no statistics on what percent of them are in the IDF, but from my WP:OR view, I seem to see a lot of them walking around in comparison to the number there are. The IDF only appears to be mentioned in one sentence in the entire article, which is Over the years there has been significant progress in the integration of young Beta Israels into Israeli society, primarily resulting from serving in the Israeli Defense Forces alongside other Israelis their age. This has led to an increase in opportunities for Ethiopian Jews after they are discharged from the army. Although its important, there is a chayal photographed right next to it. Definitely seems to be disproportionate to me. - GalatzTalk 12:47, 29 June 2016 (UTC)
- @Galatz: I scanned the article and found that sentence myself, and so I was wondering if there really is enough of a significant tradition of Ethiopian Jews serving in the Israeli military to justify the only two images of random Beta Israel members being of uniformed IDF members. If slightly more of the article focused on that point, and if it was mentioned in the lead, then I could understand it, but at present it seems somewhat disproportionate. This appears to be an unintended side-effect of that massive blowout a few months back regarding "galleries" of images in the infobox; I was never a fan of those collages either, but here (and possibly elsewhere) removing it has had the effect of making all the images near the top of the page photographs IDF members. Since this is a problem created by an RFC on the ethnic groups WikiProject fairly recently, you think it would be a good idea to bring it up there? Hijiri 88 (聖やや) 02:03, 30 June 2016 (UTC)
how to pronounce masgid
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Beta Israel. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070911102037/http://www.ccb.ucar.edu/ijas/ijasno2/georgis.html to http://www.ccb.ucar.edu/ijas/ijasno2/georgis.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090126184648/http://www.ethioguide.com:80/aa-ethioguide/ethioguide/News_Archive/1299/origin%20of%20falasha_jews122399.htm to http://www.ethioguide.com/aa-ethioguide/ethioguide/News_Archive/1299/origin%20of%20falasha_jews122399.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.