Talk:Bibliography of the American Civil War
|This page was nominated for deletion on 24 November 2012 (UTC). The result of the discussion was keep.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
bibliography and scope
This page was linked in a discussion elsewhere, and I noticed this line at the start, "This is a selected, annotated list of the most useful titles." This probably needs rewriting, and the description needs to be clarified: who selected, annotated and decided on the contents of this page? And what is this page, is it an article about American Civil War bibliography or a new bibliography? If it is the former it needs references, it currently has one footnote. If it is a type of bibliography, then how does that accord with this document's (wikipedia) scope? Cygnis insignis (talk) 11:37, 3 July 2010 (UTC)
- is it selected? yes, there are tends of thousands of possible cites, as shown by a search at amazon.com or books.google.com or a university library catalog; who selects them? at Wiki all editors pitch in, selects and annotates--subject of course to challenge from other editors. This is an article about how historians and writers have handled the Civil War. It could be structured in terms of a couple hundred footnotes, but the annotated bibliography is the usual format in most history books. (The annotations are just brief descriptions of the content -- I suppose grouping the books by topics could also be called annotation). I expanded the section on women's roles--a fast growing field. Rjensen (talk) 07:49, 15 August 2010 (UTC)
Split page due to size?
Comments on AfD
An impressive amount of work has gone into this article. It satisfies the notability criteria for lists, but as it stands it is original research because the works were selected mostly by two editors without any explicit selection criteria. Selection criteria are required for lists (see WP:LSC). Among the selection criteria I have seen:
- All books on the subject (not feasible here).
- Only those that have their own article or are demonstrably notable. There are only about 30 nonfiction books in Category:American Civil War books.
- All of the content of a given published bibliography (would be a copyright violation).
- Each book appears in (say) three published bibliographies. I have seen this one used successfully (I forget where), and it might be the best choice for this bibliography.
I have tagged this article for lacking inclusion criteria. Also, since the members of the list are not independently notable, they should have sources demonstrating that they were taken from the published bibliographies. RockMagnetist (talk) 18:04, 26 November 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry about my most recent revert. Somehow on first reading I didn't recognize the inclusion criteria in the changes. RockMagnetist (talk) 15:59, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Bibliography of the American Civil War. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20100706235156/http://dig.lib.niu.edu/ISHS/ishs-2002summer/ishs-2002summer223.pdf to http://dig.lib.niu.edu/ISHS/ishs-2002summer/ishs-2002summer223.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20071222114943/http://library.stmarys-ca.edu/research/history/usa/little/ to http://library.stmarys-ca.edu/research/history/usa/little/
- Added archive http://webarchive.loc.gov/all/20130504053556/http://myloc.gov/Exhibitions/civilwarphotographs to http://myloc.gov/exhibitions/civilwarphotographs
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.