Talk:Brotherhood of St. Mark
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Brotherhood of St. Mark article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|WikiProject Fencing||(Rated Stub-class, Low-importance)|
Is this article misnamed? "Marx brothers" appears to be a bastardized half-translation of the German "Marxbruder." Most English-language sources (that are not Wikipedia clones), including those cited in the article, refer to this group as "The Brotherhood of St. Mark."
- you are right, it may be better to move the page. dab (ᛏ) 07:36, 20 May 2005 (UTC)
- However, "Marx brothers" seems like a fair enough translation of "Marxbrüder", if you choose not to translate "Marx", which as a spelling for "Mark's" is just as uncommon in German as in English. dab (ᛏ) 15:17, 23 May 2005 (UTC)
There used to be an captain of st. mark in the Venice military does that have an connection ?
Are the Marxbruder still in existence? If not, is there any record of when the Brotherhood disbanded?
about the Lux/Lucas-Brothers
This is my transcript, taken from: Wassmannsdorff, Karl: Sechs Fechtschulen: (d.i. Schau- und Preisfechten) der Marxbrüder und Federfechter aus den Jahren 1573-1614 […]. Heidelberg 1870.
nach 1576 [über die Lucasbrüder] [S.8/ Fascikel 27 der Aktenstücke über die Marxbrüder im Archiv der Stadt Frankfurt a. M.] Ein Lucas Bruder ist ein M[eiste]r. aus denen Marc[us] oder Veyths fechtern, so sich vndernimet gegen alle vnd jede die Schuhl zu behaupten; würdt Er aber bluthrüstig gemachet, so ist Er ab, vnd die übrige theylen das von denen Zuschauwern erlöszete geldt. [...]
after 1576 [page 8/ fascicle 27 from the Acta about the Marxbrüder at the archive of the city of Frankfurt am Main] A Lucas bruder[brother] is a M[aste]r. coming form the Marc[us] or the Vitus-fencers[/fighters], who dares[/has taken upon himself] to prevail against everybody and any [existing/teaching] School; in case He is brought to bleed [or: is beeing severely injured during a fight], so He is off, and the others[/remaining parties/schools] shall divide the wagered money [the wage/ le gage de bataille/ die Wette] which has been collected from the spectators, among them. [...]
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Brotherhood of St. Mark. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20050412012652/http://www.georgehernandez.com:80/xMartialArts/Blades/SwordHistory.htm to http://www.georgehernandez.com/xMartialArts/Blades/SwordHistory.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20091229123531/http://www.marxbruder.com:80/ to http://www.marxbruder.com/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.