Talk:Bruce Fraser, 1st Baron Fraser of North Cape
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Bruce Fraser, 1st Baron Fraser of North Cape article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
My father served under Admiral Fraser. Although only a Petty Officer, as a cook he had more contact with the Admiral than most of his rank. He always remembered Fraser as a fair and humane commander, a seaman's seaman. He told me that it was Fraser who fought with the Admiralty to permit junior ranks to wear tropical fatigues while serving in the Pacific. Until then, although officers were allowed to wear tropical whites, including shorts, the men had been expected to wear their heavy blue uniforms.184.108.40.206 (talk) 23:14, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
- I find that latter statement pretty hard to believe. But who knows, maybe Their Lords didn't want to spend a fortune on whites for the Hostilities Only ratings. I'll have a look in Humble's biography of Fraser later today. --Harlsbottom (talk | library | book reviews) 10:46, 13 January 2009 (UTC)
- I consulted Humble's biography of Fraser. According to him, the question which Fraser argued with the First Sea Lord over was whether British sailors should wear khakis or their tropical whites (not their blue uniforms). Eventually a great many did wear khakis in the B.P.F. --Harlsbottom (talk | library | book reviews) 10:28, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Bruce Fraser, 1st Baron Fraser of North Cape. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20010522092000/http://www.warship.org/no11994.htm to http://www.warship.org/no11994.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.