Talk:CAD data exchange
|This article is/was the subject of a Wiki Education Foundation-supported course assignment. Further details are available on the course page. Assigned student editor(s): Avardaneg.|
|WikiProject Industrial design||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
Proposal to enhance article
Proposal to enhance this article:
- Change title to "CAD Data Translation" - term "Exchange" can also be understood as the process to exchange files between parties (for example from supplier to customer), which can be done by several different ways (FTP, email, dedicated data exchange portals, direct access to the target data management system, etc). This article is not meant to cover this aspect therefore the term "translation" would be a better fit for it.
- The vast majority of the article content doesn't have any citations therefore I would like to either find citations to support the article statements or change the statements to better fit the new citations
- I'd like to add more details about the 3 methods of translation and also cite the most common formats and applications used in the market
- There is a problem with the section of the third method of translation - the section title says "= Data" which appears to be a glitch in the article
- There is a citation about a "recent" neutral modeling command (NCM) method from a paper from 2006, which in my opinion can no longer be called recent. The hyperlink in neutral modeling command doesn't lead to anywhere either.
- I'd like to add citations and more detail to the "Level of Information detail translated" section, further describing the different dimensions of the CAD data translation (3D/ 2D geometry, Metadata, Assembly structure, features or history tree, knowledge, PMI, etc)
- I'd like to change the "MultiCAD Digital Mockups" section to "CAD to lightweight graphic formats", add citations and mention the different formats available (JT, 3DXML, U3D, etc)
- I'd like to add newsections for CAD to CAE, CAD to Rapid Prototyping and CAD to Virtual Reality
- New proposed outline:
1 Methods of translation
1.1 Direct internal 1.2 Direct external 1.3 Intermediate (Neutral) formats
2 Data Translation content
3 CAD to CAD data translation
4 CAD to CAM data translation
5 CAD to CAE data translation
6 CAD to Lightweight graphic formats
7 CAD to Rapid Prototyping
8 CAD to Virtual Reality
Hey, I think the introduction is kind of short you need to add more info in there. Also, you should support your post with more references. Over all, each section in my opinion needs to be explained more and needs more content. However, the overall layout of the article is great and looks very organized. It is really easy for the reader to navigate through it and find what they are looking for.
Preliminary research of articles/ sources for this enhancement proposal:
- Lightweight formats for product model data exchange and preservation - Ball, L, et al. - 2007
- Chaparala, R. T., Hartman, N. W., & Springer, J. (2013). Examining CAD Interoperability through the Use of Ontologies. Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 10(1), 83-96. doi:10.3722/cadaps.2013.83-96
- Hartman, Nathan W. "Evaluating Lightweight 3D Graphics Formats for Product Visualization and Data Exchange." Journal of Applied Science & Engineering Technology (2009): n. pag. Web.
- Choi, G., Mun, D., & Han, S. (2002). Exchange of CAD Part Models Based on the Macro-Parametric Approach. International Journal of CAD/CAM, 2(1), 13-21. Retrieved from www.ijcc.org.
- Schilling, A., Kim, S., Weissmann, D., Tang, Z., & Choi, S. (2006). CAD-VR geometry and meta data synchronization for design review applications. Journal of Zhejiang University-SCIENCE A J. Zhejiang Univ. - Sci. A, 7(9), 1482-1491. doi:10.1631/jzus.2006.a1482
- Guida, M., & Leoncini, P. (2010, October 20). Information-preserving procedural translation of CAD data to dynamics-simulated VR environments. Proceedings of IDMME - Virtual Concept 2010.
- Zou, L., Guo, D., & Gao, H. (2011). A method to analyze the difference of 3-D CAD model files based on feature extraction. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 25(4), 971-976. doi:10.1007/s12206-011-0210-9
- Kang, M. (2000). Neutral representation of tolerance information for process planning using STEP AP 224. KSME International Journal, 14(12), 1337-1347. doi:10.1007/bf03191918
- Shapiro, V., Tsukanov, I., & Grishin, A. (2011). Geometric Issues in Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Engineering Integration. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 11(2), 021005. doi:10.1115/1.3593416
- Qin, Y., Lu, W., Qi, Q., Liu, X., Zhong, Y., Scott, P. J., & Jiang, X. (2016). Status, comparison, and issues of CAD model data exchange methods based on standardized neutral files and OWL file. J. Comput. Inf. Sci. Eng Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering. doi:10.1115/1.4034325
- Eigner, M., Handschuh, S., & Gerhardt, F. (2010). Concept to Enrichen Lightweight, Neutral Data Formats with CAD-based Feature Technology. Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 7(1), 89-99. doi:10.3722/cadaps.2010.89-99
- Prawel, D. (2011, September 1). Lost in translation: It's the paradox of computer-aided design: More software systems, more project collaborators, more wasted time. Mechanical Engineering-CIME.
- JT seeks acceptance. (2006, March 1). Automotive Design & Production.
- Kim, J., Pratt, M. J., Iyer, R. G., & Sriram, R. D. (2008). Standardized data exchange of CAD models with design intent. Computer-Aided Design, 40(7), 760-777. doi:10.1016/j.cad.2007.06.014
- Pan, Z., Wang, X., Teng, R., & Cao, X. (2016). Computer-aided design-while-engineering technology in top-down modeling of mechanical product. Computers in Industry, 75, 151-161. doi:10.1016/j.compind.2015.05.004
- Pratt, M., Bhatt, A., Dutta, D., Lyons, K., Patil, L., & Sriram, R. (2002). Progress towards an international standard for data transfer in rapid prototyping and layered manufacturing. Computer-Aided Design, 34(14), 1111-1121. doi:10.1016/s0010-4485(01)00189-0
- Whyte, J., Bouchlaghem, N., Thorpe, A., & Mccaffer, R. (2000). From CAD to virtual reality: Modelling approaches, data exchange and interactive 3D building design tools. Automation in Construction, 10(1), 43-55. doi:10.1016/s0926-5805(99)00012-6
- Chen, X., Li, M., & Gao, S. (2006). A Web Service for Exchanging Procedural CAD Models Between Heterogeneous CAD Systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design II, 225-234. doi:10.1007/11686699_23
- Kim, B. C., Mun, D., Han, S., & Pratt, M. J. (2011). A method to exchange procedurally represented 2D CAD model data using ISO 10303 STEP. Computer-Aided Design, 43(12), 1717-1728. doi:10.1016/j.cad.2011.07.006
- Lipman, R., & Lubell, J. (2015). Conformance checking of PMI representation in CAD model STEP data exchange files. Computer-Aided Design, 66, 14-23. doi:10.1016/j.cad.2015.04.002
- Park, B., & Kim, J. J. (2012). A sharable format for multidisciplinary finite element analysis data. Computer-Aided Design, 44(7), 626-636. doi:10.1016/j.cad.2012.02.005
- Abdul-Ghafour, S., Ghodous, P., Shariat, B., Perna, E., & Khosrowshahi, F. (2014). Semantic interoperability of knowledge in feature-based CAD models. Computer-Aided Design, 56, 45-57. doi:10.1016/j.cad.2014.06.001
- Wu, Y., He, F., Zhang, D., & Li, X. (2016). Service-Oriented Feature-Based Data Exchange for Cloud-Based Design and Manufacturing. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, 1-1. doi:10.1109/tsc.2015.2501981
- Li, M., Gao, S., & Wang, C. C. (2007). Real-Time Collaborative Design With Heterogeneous CAD Systems Based on Neutral Modeling Commands. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 7(2), 113. doi:10.1115/1.2720880
- Ding, L., Ball, A., Matthews, J., Mcmahon, C., & Patel, M. (2009). Annotation of lightweight formats for long-term product representations. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 22(11), 1037-1053. doi:10.1080/09511920802527616