|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the CERN article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is written in British English with Oxford spelling (colour, realize, organization, analyse; note that -ize is used instead of -ise). Some terms used in it may be different or absent from other varieties of English. According to the relevant style guide, this should not be changed without broad consensus.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on April 30, 2005, September 29, 2007, April 30, 2008, September 29, 2008, September 29, 2009, September 29, 2010, and September 29, 2012.|
Benefits & Dangers?
It is highly undoubted that the works of CERN has provided us with the infamous World Wide Web. Accessing and sharing data has never been easier since the beginning of the internet. The current projects involving the particle colliders are quiet a great work of mankind in trying to understand the sub atomic particle nature of matter. After looking through the article, I asked myself a simple question: what is the significance of doing such research? If anything a section providing information on how such research might benefit mankind and any other technological advancement, would be useful. Sure it might help increase data bit transmission but how will it benefit society in general? And how useful would particle acceleration studies in the near future be? Part of the article to introduce such matters as well as provide external sources to benefits of studying particulate matter might be helpful. Also the article seems not to state the dangers of studying sub atomic particles and collision. Are there any major problems to be worried about? Does it pose any threat to works and the environment like nuclear reactors do? It would be useful if such questions are answered in the scope of the article, or if not, provide external valid sources that look into the benefits, security as well as dangers of studying particle collisions. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Ainstein001 (talk • contribs) 00:39, 11 February 2010 (UTC)
Try this article Safety of particle collisions at the Large Hadron Collider cheers Khukri 07:08, 11 February 2010 (UTC)
- That addresses the possible dangers, but a discussion of the possible benefits, in addition to providing employment to builders, operators, administrators, and scientists would improve the article. Just saying "basic research is good" is akin to saying "building the Pyramids was good," in that it kept people employed and lent prestige to the builders. Edison (talk) 22:44, 13 July 2012 (UTC).
what is the breakdown of workers by nationality?
There are over 10,000 engineers, scientists, and other workers from 113 nations working on this. Which countries have the most amount of people involved in CERN, and what % of the total would they comprise? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 06:16, 23 October 2011 (UTC)
- See, https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BOP7ahIarB8J:https://council.web.cern.ch/council/en/governance/TREF_416%2520Personnel%2520satistics%25202014.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in&client=ubuntu Crawford88 (talk) 11:13, 7 December 2016 (UTC)
- This category on CDS will always have the most recent statistics https://cds.cern.ch/collection/CERN%20Annual%20Personnel%20Statistics Dukwon (talk) 11:16, 7 December 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on CERN. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120705215550/http://press.web.cern.ch:80/press/PressReleases/Releases2012/PR17.12E.html to http://press.web.cern.ch/press/pressreleases/Releases2012/PR17.12E.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.
Talk page archive
A lot of this talk page is stale and references text that is no longer in the article, and with this being the 50th section, I'm proposing setting up an automated archive, like on Talk:Large_Hadron_Collider. WP:ARCHIVE says to establish a consensus before doing this so, thoughts, anyone? Dukwon (talk) 11:07, 7 December 2016 (UTC)
- I noticed the page was already configured for archiving, and the bot had failed way back in 2013. I went ahead and fixed it. Now there are a couple of un-dated sections Dukwon (talk) 09:28, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
The following coordinate fixes are needed for