|WikiProject Astronomy||(Rated Stub-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Hawaii||(Rated Stub-class)|
A caution to all who would submit personal photos of Mauna Kea
Wikimedia and Wikipedia require that photos be available for all uses, including commercial use. The University of Hawaii system prohibits photos taken within the Mauna Kea Science Area Reserve from being used commercially "or released for commercial use" unless a commercial film/photography permit was acquired before the photos were taken. In addition, if photos include any observatory buildings, permission for commercial use must be acquired from each observatory shown.
While it is unlikely that the University has the time or interest to do anything about posting of "unauthorized" photos to Wikipedia, this apparently irreconcilable conflict between its policy and that of Wikimedia and Wikipedia is something Wikipedians should be aware of when considering submitting their personal photos of Mauna Kea.
I've worked on Mauna Kea for five years, most of it for the University of Hawaii, so I'm very familiar with their policies. I've never once gotten a permit for commercial photography, and as a result, I can't submit to Wikipedia "any" of the thousands of photos I have of the observatories.
I will encourage the appropriate people at each observatory to officially make photos available to Wikimedia/Wikipedia.
Hope this helps!
- I am no lawyer, but I'm not sure this kind of restriction is something that UoH can legally require/enforce. I suppose if you took pictures with the intent of using them commercially, then it might be considered trespassing? But I don't think once you have taken them they can prevent this kind of use. ErikHaugen (talk | contribs) 17:54, 26 July 2011 (UTC)
- And the linked page doesn't even state any restrictions on what you can do with your photos if you took them without the "license to film". I'd say it's like anywhere else; if you took pictures, you can do what you want with them, unless you've agreed otherwise (which Dan, as an employee, has likely agreed). Dicklyon (talk) 18:11, 26 July 2011 (UTC)
Request for help updating this page
Directly editing this page is likely a COI because I am employed by the Canada France Hawaii Telescope though I am not paid to update this page. I would like to update the instrument configuration. The changes reverted by MarkMiller were intended to update the page with the configuration listed on CFHT's public website: Cite error: There are
<ref> tags on this page without content in them (see the help page). Would someone without a COI please review the changes and update the page? Thanks! kanoa (talk) 22:39, 22 July 2015 (UTC)
- IMHO, this is not a real COI as you properly cited your sources and have just updated the content with the current configuration of the telescope. It's neutral. Litlok (talk) 06:49, 23 July 2015 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Canada–France–Hawaii Telescope. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140108025400/http://www.kasi.re.kr/english/ to http://www.kasi.re.kr/english/
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.